Thread: Using touchpad disables left mouse button?

Beans

Using touchpad disables left mouse button?

Hello folks!

I've installed Lubuntu 18.04 on an acer Extensa 5230E and the weirdest thing is happening:
    After booting, everything seems fine; in particular my usb mouse works as it should.
    But the very moment I touch my touchpad or one of its buttons, the left click stops working! That is, pressing the left mouse button (either of the usb mouse or touchpad) has no visible effect anymore!

EDIT: While formulating this message I realised that using the touchpad actually seems to lead to a permanently pressed left button, rather than it not working at al

The touchpad is recognised as "AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint" by xinput (and my usb mouse is recognised as a keyboard, funnily enough).

Unsurprisingly, I am not amused by this (at least I wasn't for very long) and would like this to stop. I would very much like to be able to use the touchpad fully.
    If any of you have an idea, that might help me with this, I would be grateful to hear it!

EDIT2: Disabling and enabling the touchpad using xinput resolves the issue until the next reboot. Though the tochpad's left button still doesn't seem to be working at all. Maybe this is a driver issue?
    Last edited by m-burgardt; December 16th, 2018 at 07:49 PM.