Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searches not working on Gimp (Snap)

Beans

Searches not working on Gimp (Snap)

After installing Gimp through Snap the search functions don't work.
    Gives no results to files I know are in the folders.

Any help is welcome.

Beans

Re: Searches not working on Gimp (Snap)

I assume you mean the 'Search'-function in the file open dialog. Are the files you're looking for outside your home directory or it's sub-directories ? Programs installed from snap-packages are sandboxed and can't access files outside of the home directory of the user running the program or the '/media/$USER/' folder for accessing hotplugged devices for this user (actually, accessing /media/ depends on the configuration of the snap and might not be possible for a given snap ...).

Holger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    I assume you mean the 'Search'-function in the file open dialog. Are the files you're looking for outside your home directory or it's sub-directories ? Programs installed from snap-packages are sandboxed and can't access files outside of the home directory of the user running the program or the '/media/$USER/' folder for accessing hotplugged devices for this user (actually, accessing /media/ depends on the configuration of the snap and might not be possible for a given snap ...).

Holger

Yes, in the file open dialog.
    The files are in the Home/Pictures folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Kinda confused: my GIMP does not have a search function that I can find. Is there a reason why you went with the Snal version instead of the one in the repositories?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Kinda confused: my GIMP does not have a search function that I can find. Is there a reason why you went with the Snal version instead of the one in the repositories?

Not confusing: File > Open (a dialog will open)... There's a search function that will search for files in the folders. It never finds anything.

I can use that same dialog (file opener) to open any file when I know where they are. That's why I think it is not related to the fact that the Snap is sandboxed.
    Last edited by braznyc; December 16th, 2018 at 06:29 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by braznyc View Post
    Not confusing: File > Open (a dialog will open)... There's a search function that will search for files in the folders. It never finds anything.

I can use that same dialog (file opener) to open any file when I know where they are. That's why I think it is not related to the fact that the Snap is sandboxed.
    It would appear that the Search & Recent functions in the snap gimp are broken. Browsing works fine.
    Don't think it has much to do with confinement in terms of where, your home directory should be fully accessible. Probably just how it's (the snap) created or a current limitation of snapd.

You could file an issue here (snapd
    https://forum.snapcraft.io/c/snapd

or what snap info gimp says about issues
    https://github.com/snapcrafters/gimp/issues

(- if you wanted a snap gimp with full access to / you'd -
    Code:
    sudo snap remove gimp
    Code:
    sudo snap install gimp --classic
    Last edited by mc4man; December 16th, 2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: space

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It would appear that the Search & Recent functions in the snap gimp are broken. Browsing works fine.
    Don't think it has much to do with confinement in terms of where, your home directory should be fully accessible. Probably just how it's (the snap) created or a current limitation of snapd.

You could file an issue here (snapd
    https://forum.snapcraft.io/c/snapd

or what snap info gimp says about issues
    https://github.com/snapcrafters/gimp/issues

(- if you wanted a snap gimp with full access to / you'd -
    Code:
    sudo snap remove gimp
    Code:
    sudo snap install gimp --classic

Thank you!

I trie to reinstall Gimp using those commands I had this error message:

"error: snap "gimp" is not compatible with --classic"

I thought snaps were supposed to solve issues when installing a program.
    Last edited by braznyc; December 16th, 2018 at 07:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

File -> Open presents me with a menu of where to look for a file: no "search" there. My pic files are generally on another drive. From File -> Open, I can click on the second HD and then the folder with the pic files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    File -> Open presents me with a menu of where to look for a file: no "search" there. My pic files are generally on another drive. From File -> Open, I can click on the second HD and then the folder with the pic files.

Are you serious?

This: (in this image it shows that I had searched for the word "blue", and nothing was found. I know I have many image files that have the word "blue")

Last edited by braznyc; December 16th, 2018 at 09:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yes, Autodave probably is serious.

I'm using gimp 2.10.8 from the ppa, and using that in my Xubuntu 18.04 doesn't give me any search function in the dialogue box that opens from the File ->Open menu, just a navigation window as I expect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast