Thread: Imac 27 Mid 2010, HDD Fan controle.

Beans

Question Imac 27 Mid 2010, HDD Fan controle.

Hello all.

First im new to Linux

I have an Imac Mid 2010, i use it as a plex server and to run som VM's when i need test enviroments.
    I run Ubuntu 18 full installation.

I have changed my HDD to an SDD and now the HDD fan is at 100% all the time. In macos/OSX i used Macs Fan controle software to controle the fan speed.

I have been on google and done diffrent solution many hours the last few days.. i simply cant find a way to deal with this.

Pwmconfig change but i cant. when i try to run it i get this error./usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed.
    So i added GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_enforce_resources=lax" to /etc/default/grub.
    But after a sudo update-grub and a reboot i get the same error.

I hope some of you guys have a solution, or maybe even been in this situation and got a fix

i have been follow this post. https://iandw.net/2014/10/12/fancont...les-installed/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Imac 27 Mid 2010, HDD Fan controle.

Thread moved to Apple Hardware Users for a more appropriate fit.

Beans

Thanks didnt even notice there was an Apple hardware forum.

Beans

Anyone know if i would be able to run Mac fan controle, or some windows software with Wine ?

Im getting desperat the fans spins with 5500rpm, way to much noise for the placement of the server in my house. Really dont want to go back to Macos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I haven't found anything as functional as MacsFanControl.
    I guess you didn't re-use the temp sensor from the hard drive on the SSD?

Beans

This is a common problem with some imacs. The Apple HD you removed had a special sensor in it, and your new SSD is missing that sensor. You can buy a cable (from OWC and other sources) that will give you a sensor, or you can simply short the pins on the sensor cable you already have. I don't have your model of mac, so definitely do some more research on this.

For fan control software under Ubuntu, I use macfanctld. There is also mbpfan.

Beans

Thank you will take a look at the software.

Short the pins on the sensor.. i haven't really been thinking about that i will do it if the software cannot handle it.. otherwise i might have to install Macos again to make it quiet, and then make a new build when i got time for that.