Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to Dual boot Ubuntu with windows 10. Not detecting existing HDD & Windows 10

Beans

Unable to Dual boot Ubuntu with windows 10. Not detecting existing HDD & Windows 10

I am trying to install Ubuntu 18.04.1 parallel to my existing windows 10 OS.

Please find the attachment with name Disk_Space.png for disk partition configuration.

Disk_Space.jpg

I have downloaded ISO file and write it on to a USB flash stick using https://etcher.io .

Then restarted the system by continuously typing F12 and choose my USB device from boot menu. After that when I try to install ubuntu OS, it is not showing alongside windows option/ something else option. Even it is not showing my unallocated memory of Hard disk. Instead it is showing my USB memory capacity.

I am unable to install dual boot ubuntu with windows10.

Please find the attachments for further info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Unable to Dual boot Ubuntu with windows 10. Not detecting existing HDD & Windows

Have you disabled fast boot in the BIOS? Win10 does not shut down: it hibernates. When it hibernates, it holds the entire drive hostage. You will have to disable fast boot and then shut Windows down. Then, when you restart the machine, you again want to get to the boot order and choose your USB to boot from. Then you should see the space that you allocates and it should also tell you that it found Win10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Unable to Dual boot Ubuntu with windows 10. Not detecting existing HDD & Windows

I cannot tell for sure if the FAT32 partition at beginning of drive is an ESP for UEFI or a recovery partition and your install is BIOS.
    Windows only installs in UEFI mode to gpt partitioned drives and only in BIOS boot mode from MBR(msdos) partitioned drives.
    Post this and it will say if gpt or dos:
    sudo parted -l

If BIOS/MBR, then you have used all 4 primary partitions.

IF BIOS or UEFI, you may have Windows fast start up on and then the Linux NTFS driver cannot see the NTFS partition.
    Fast Start up off (always on hibernation), note that Windows turns this back on with updates
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post13488472
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I have already disbled the fast boot settings in my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Have you disabled the hybrid shutdown in Windows?

Beans

The Disk Management output in your initial post shows that partition 1 and partition 5 are empty which seems odd to me.
    You neglected to post the output of the command: sudo parted -l from a terminal when booted to the Ubuntu install media.
    If you have done any updates on windows since disabling fastboot, it was probably turned back on.

Beans

Partition 1 and partition 5 in disk partition are for healthy recovery which are not in my control.
    I tried sudo parted -| in Ubuntu terminal. But it is showing blank. It is not throwing any error.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Best to copy & paste command to avoid confusion. Different fonts look different, and it is -l or lower case el, not capital I nor 1 nor |.

sudo parted -l
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Here is the output

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted -l
    Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/sda appears to be used, you can
    fix the GPT to use all of the space (an extra 4544 blocks) or continue with the
    current setting?
    Fix/Ignore? ^C
    Model: ATA ST1000LM035-1RK1 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: gpt
    Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 1049kB 274MB 273MB fat32 EFI system partition boot, esp
    2 274MB 290MB 16.8MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
    3 290MB 701GB 701GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
    4 972GB 999GB 26.8GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
    5 999GB 1000GB 1047MB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag

Warning: The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but
    Linux says it is 512 bytes.
    Ignore/Cancel? ^C
    Model: SanDisk Cruzer Blade (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 15.7GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: unknown
    Disk Flags:

Beans

Based on the above output from sudo parted -l, it looks like unpartitioned space is not getting listed here. And also my C drive where the Windows 10 is installed is listed here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast