Thread: Privacy

Beans

Privacy

I hear a lot about the spying that Microsoft does on its customers. Are there any privacy issues in umbuntu? I don't think that Canonical collects any data on their customers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Privacy

Not a support request.

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat as the more appropriate forum.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
    I hear a lot about the spying that Microsoft does on its customers. Are there any privacy issues in umbuntu? I don't think that Canonical collects any data on their customers.
    Privacy is a complex issue, Ubuntu's track record is pretty clean on average-- basically the same as everyone else's if you don't include that little snafu with Unity (very old news.)

I don't personally trust the browsers at this point, but that's not Ubuntu's fault. You won't find me using Chrome or Chromium (except to check that some Javascript is compatible) and I prevent a long list of Mozilla-related URLs from resolving. If I'm fair (and I try to be) I would say most days of the year you can trust Canonical a lot farther than Mozilla or Facebook. But it's a good question, actually. The next time Ubuntu is in the tech news over a privacy issue, it will probably be about a Snap package (and it won't be entirely their fault then, either. You've always had the option of installing 3rd-party software, Snap just makes it easier.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

"little snafu with Unity"

Do you mean that little thing that you could just turn off?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Do you mean that little thing that you could just turn off?
    Don't do that. Someone asked about privacy in Ubuntu, and I gave the answer they requested-- an honest assessment.

I was being charitable-- specifically to avoid a debate about it. And I really don't want to get into a moral debate about Canonical with a forum administrator. If a years-old issue interests the OP that much they can look it up and decide for themselves. That would be fair.
    Last edited by freemedia2018; December 14th, 2018 at 09:52 AM.