Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nvidia again!

nvidia again!

Had problems with a Nvidia 1030 graphics card in 18.04, low resolution and then went into a loop, couldn't get a graphical login. I never got it resolved, reverted to xorg or Noveau, not sure. So recently I did a fresh install of 18.10 and it worked perfectly, used the Nvidia driver. Just the other day I logged in and the resolution is low, 1024×768 I think and can't change it. I reverted to noveau and still the same. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: nvidia again!

What driver are you using? It should be the 410.78.

390. Running update that is what is installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

That sounds exactly like it didn't pick up the EDID from your monitor. Since it worked before, check your cabling.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The 390 driver is fine. +1 with CatKiller: especially if it is a VGA cable. If VGA and connections are good, try another cable.

Thanks. I'll try another cable.

Beans

I've got the same problem.

I was running 18.10 with the drivers from ppa and one day the resolution dropped to 800x600. I tried everything and could only get the full resolution by removing the ppa drivers. The default drivers work, sorta but poorly so I'd like to get back to better drivers.

To be sure nothing else was going on I just did a fresh install, installed the ppa repo then the recommended driver. Back to the unrecognized monitor and 8x6. I didn't believe that cabling would suddenly change the behavior but for completeness I did try different cables. Still not working.

It's possible the problem started after a SW refresh - My kernel is the latest: 4.18.0-12-generic.

Any ideas anyone? Should I go through the hassle of installing and compiling the proprietary nVidia drivers?

Beans
    Distro

phototed your symptoms are quite different from the OP's. They have low resolution regardless of driver version. You are only getting a low resolution with a particular driver version. I'd suggest you start a new thread to see if someone can help you. You should also include hardware details in that thread.

Haven't been able to try a replacement cable yet. I dual-boot with windows 10 and no problems there. Hoew likely is it that the cable is at fault?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_j_marshall2 View Post
    Haven't been able to try a replacement cable yet. I dual-boot with windows 10 and no problems there. Hoew likely is it that the cable is at fault?
    A dodgy or poorly-connected cable would cause those symptoms. There may be other things that would also cause those symptoms.

Windows doesn't rely on EDID in the same way as Linux does, so it's not an accurate troubleshooting test. Manufacturers will give Microsoft all the important details of the monitor as a "driver" (it isn't really a driver) that they won't do for us.

It is possible to set the resolution and timings for the monitor manually, but it's a bit of a pain to do so compared to simply unplugging and replugging a cable, or swapping one for another.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast