Thread: GUFW rules don't override general settings when going with the whitelisting approach

Beans

GUFW rules don't override general settings when going with the whitelisting approach

Hello, fiends!

I am trying to barr my computer from the internet when I play my steam games so they don't phone back home, so I can make my little statement about consent. But I want my browser to have online access so I can listen to music.

I have the GUFW Firewall. The default general settings are -Incoming: Deny, -Outgoing: Allow.

When I click on the report after a fresh boot, I get exactly 30 entries - ports: 111, 123, 137, 138, 139, 3***** for rpc.statd, 445 simbd, 5***** for avahi-daemon and rpc statd, 631 for cups-browsed, 677 rpcbind, and 68 dhclient
    I imagine all these are normal things, though, reading about some, maybe I should also block them, but I'm afraid to brick something.

Anyway, I booted up Steam, and two entries showed up as 27036 ports. Very nice. So I clicked on them and made a rule- Allow: out, just like the general rule for outgoing is allow, and incoming is deny.
    So I put the outgoing default setting to Deny, so both are deny, and I hoped my new rule for steam that says Allowut, would serve as a way of whitelisting specific programs, and overriding the general rule, like it is supposed to work for blacklisting, but it doesn't work!

What should I do? I can't be chasing every gme around, and the whitelisting approach is the easiest way. I read on another forum that a guy managed to only allow ports for browsers and his thunderbird, and that everything works nice. I have to type a password every time I open GUFW, so I kow it's sudo, and I should theoretically be able to do everything he did with the graphical interface.

What should I do? Am I doing something wrong? My theory was to make a profile filled with those 30 ports (or less if I can identify the useless ones) and steam, and have it on when I play games, so their proprietary software can't ring home to servers and share my data. I only allow steam to steal it and share it, but I won't be spied upon without express consent.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: GUFW rules don't override general settings when going with the whitelisting appro

Play music on the system?
    Use a web-proxy server that is only configured for the music player, not Steam?
    There are some techniques for firewalls on a per-userid basis, but only iptables seems to have access to that level of control. I've not used per-userid controls. https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/block...-iptables.html was the first google result.

UFW doesn't support them to my knowledge. UFW/GUFW is not intended to provide access to everything thing the Linux kernel firewall can do. It is a simple interface for simple needs.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2380003 is another thread here that has some other options for your consideration.