Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOV file causes 100% CPU

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: MOV file causes 100% CPU

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    Have a look for updated drivers for your graphics
    It's not the graphics driver, it's the lack of VDPAU. There is a package to translate Intel's VA-API into the VDPAU that the application is expecting. Or the OP could use the -vo vaapi -va vaapi mplayer options directly. But the OP would prefer not to use hardware acceleration for some reason, apparently.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

It's not the graphics driver, it's the lack of VDPAU. There is a package to translate Intel's VA-API into the VDPAU that the application is expecting.
    IIRC, the package you are referring to is libvdpau-va-gl1. But if you have an Intel GPU, you should not be using VDPAU unless it's your only option. Using VA-API directly will give better performance.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install i965-va-driver vainfo
    Then, you need a player capable of using VA-API. I'd recommend mpv (with smplayer as a front-end GUI if you wish). I don't think the old mplayer supports VA-API unless you get the specially patched version of it.

Beans

Install & run vainfo, see if hevc (h.265) is supported. If so you can use vaapi hwdec though not in mplayer. In that case try mpv instead.

Edit: The video likely is supposed to be played back at either 30 or 60 fps, that's what creates the slo-mo. Maybe your players are trying to play at 240fps?
    (- you could try something like
    Code:
    mplayer --no-correct-pts --fps=30 or mplayer --no-correct-pts --fps=60
    mpv has similar options..
    Last edited by mc4man; December 11th, 2018 at 01:50 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12