Thread: shift+click to copy multiple lines not working

Beans

Unhappy shift+click to copy multiple lines not working

steps:
    1. Left click on the start line and release.
    2. Now, move your mouse pointer to last line(till which you want to copy), then (left Shift + left click)

Result:
    Above steps will copy the content from start line to last line to the clipboard.

I have installed lubuntu 16.x and observing that the above copy trick is not working. But the same trick used to work with lubuntu 14.x
    I wonder if i installed some package in 14.x, but to the best that i remember is I didn't installed any xternal package for the same.

Note: I ahve only used the inbuilt gnome terminal and no other external terminal was installed.
    Has anybody used this feature of the terminal, please let me know.................

Any lead how to enable that feature ??

Thanks
    Last edited by vas91; 1 Week Ago at 07:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: shift+click to copy multiple lines not working

I've been using select/paste for decades. Works in almost any application since it is part of X/Windows - the X/buffer - and not tied to some "clipboard" addon.

As for how a specific terminal program works with any specific clipboard addon, the exact programs involved need to be known. There isn't just 1 clipboard tool and there must be 30 different terminal programs. Each has slightly different behaviors and capabilities. Make sense?

Here's an article about 20 different terminal programs for 14.04 https://www.tecmint.com/linux-terminal-emulators/
    And clipboards: https://www.tecmint.com/best-clipboa...ers-for-linux/

Select/paste has met my needs for decades. Just select the text you want using the left-mouse, drag to the end of the selection and release. Then use the middle mouse button to paste the selection into a text-input location. Multiple lines or pages of text all work.

But everyone has different ways of working. My method doesn't work for everyone.

Beans

yes you are correct, there are a number of methods. but specifically when u have tons of lines on your terminal and from those you need to copy a few thousand continuous lines then the select and copt method is a waste and thats the reason i asked help for the mentioned method

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I've been copying text the way the OP describes for years, and I use that method because it always has worked for me.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

My Lubuntu 18.04.1 LTS vanilla install also works the way the OP described.