Thread: toshiba A-205 laptop dvd drive

Beans

toshiba A-205 laptop dvd drive

It seems my old laptop (toshiba A-205) has finally worn out the optical drive (dvd/cd writer/reader) Need advice on replacement drive, or should I just use external USB optical drive? I have many videos on dvd... must have an optical drive. Having trouble finding one on amazon.
    Funny thing is the drive (as old as it is) was very clean and working fine, then I did fresh install of ubuntu 14.04 and tried to burn a music cd with k3b... no optical drive detected (still hear it working mechanically) Now it won't even work on data dvds I have (does not mount) Any advice welcome (except get a new laptop) I will try booting a live ubuntu dvd just to be sure... will post results soon. What do I type in terminal to check if current drive is OK?

Beans

Re: toshiba A-205 laptop dvd drive

I got into the BIOS and will not let me boot from optical drive (dvd/cd) I will assume the drive is dead. Need command to verify this in terminal.

Beans

Can't help about finding if dvd is dead, but would go with inexpensive external drive or if you want a replacement try ebay. Lots on there but watch for shipping charges.

Beans

Update: it works! Not sure why. I did three things... cleaned lens with a q-tip (it was very clean so don't think that was an issue) changed setting in k3b to don't eject disc (suggestion from another thread) and waited till it was warm (I live up in the mountains... can be very cold in the mornings and have had this issue before) I would mark this as solved, but don't really know why it now works. I was just about to order external dive (very cheap) but no need for now. Sorry if this is not helpful to others, but don't assume your drive is toast.