Thread: Is the KDE desktop on Ubuntu 'stable'?

Beans

Is the KDE desktop on Ubuntu 'stable'?

I would like to try the KDE Plasma. I can find online tutorials on how to install the KDE desktop on Ubuntu. But I would like to hear from others if it's 'stable'? Does it work well? Or is there anything I should know?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Is the KDE desktop on Ubuntu 'stable'?

One thing that frustrates me:

Auto hide of panels does not work properly and leaves flickering artifacts.

This is a "won't fix", as the KDE team seems to assume that you should be using Wayland rather than XOrg (Wayland works fine, X does not) and the Wayland team thinks it their call to decide what users should and should not do. Both parties have taken an arrogant "we know best and we get to decide what you can and can't do because we think you should or shouldn't do" attitude.

Other than that, no issues here.
    Last edited by QIII; 1 Week Ago at 12:24 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Both parties have taken an arrogant "we know best and we get to decide what you can and can't do because we think you should or shouldn't do" attitude.
    It was that attitude from the Gnome devs that meant that I switched to KDE. It mostly seems to be the KWin team that are like that, rather than KDE as a whole.

To the OP: I've found KDE to be fine. It's easy to try it out, and it's easy to go back if you don't like it. I'd also suggest giving Cinnamon a try if you simply want to explore different options.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Thank you, @QIII and @CatKiller !

Beans

I've been using Kubuntu again since 18.04 and I haven't really had any issues. I'd say give it a shot because it's great! Try it out on a LiveUSB boot to see how well it works with your hardware.