Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to I access my phones files from Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How to I access my phones files from Ubuntu?

Hey, this is an ongoing problem, and haven't found anything on the case yet. I have a Galaxy J3 Emerge (ARC1, Sprint) which I cannot access from Ubuntu. I haven't tried any other device, so I'm not sure if that helps improve the situation or not. Do I need a specific driver for my phone or the Android OS? The phone is rooted as well by the way.

Thanks!

k9r4n

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to I access my phones files from Ubuntu?

If it is recognized and the phone is in MTP mode, when connected it should show up as storage (not really, but close enough) in any Ubuntu File Manager. I use caja.

If it isn't showing up within 5 seconds of the USB connection, post the output from lsusb -t here and tell us which device is the phone.

For someone to be able to tell you exactly the next steps, we need to know the release you are running. 16.04.5 or something else?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It is a Galaxy J3 Emerge, running on Android 6.0.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu versions 18.04 + 18.10. I've tested it on multiple versions of Ubuntu and same output.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by k9r4n View Post
    Android 6.0.1
    In my limited experience, it's that old version of Android that is the problem, rather than Ubuntu. With Android 8 and Ubuntu 16.04, it all "just works". With Android 6, I had to put Android in developer mode (it sounds as though you've already done this) and then fiddle about with the USB settings under developer mode settings. Whatever I chose wouldn't stick, and each time I connected my Android device to my Ubuntu machine, I had to change the USB setting from MTP to USB charging and then back to MTP before it would mount in Ubuntu. Or something like that - I'm going from memory from earlier this year. Try all the USB settings under developer mode and you should be able get it to work.

Also - I think with Ubuntu 14.04, there was something you needed to install, but I can't remember the details. You should be OK with Ubuntu 18.04 though.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

lsusb -t?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Oh wow, Android 6.0.1 isn't that old? How come Ubuntu doesn't support Android? Yeah the only problem is i can't upgrade to 18.10 yet, because I need a new computer. I only have 300 Gb HDD, and it's from like 2010. I need Windows 10, which runs perfectly at the moment with 14.04.5, but 18.10 wouldn't run properly even by itself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Android 6 is ancient. My (Nokia) phone has just upgraded itself to from Android 8 to Android 9. It originally came with Android 7.

Anyway, that's all moot. TheFu has now asked you for information on two occasions, and twice you have apparently ignored this request. Apart from being discourteous to those trying to help you, failing to provide requested information is counter-productive. Help others to help you.

I have nothing more to offer you.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Support by Google of Android 6 ended last August. Last release was October 3, 2017.

If you are here to complain, please post to the "Chat" subforum.
    If you want constructive help to solve issues, please answer the questions, otherwise nobody can help and it is a waste of our time.

Linux supports standard protocols because it is impossible to support every 1-off device made on Earth. MTP is one of those protocols and it is supported, provided the config files know about the device and are told which usb IDs should use MTP. There are hundreds or thousands of new USB devices released every year. The vendors can update the device lists that Linux knows about, but most don't. Every USB device type has a unique ID.

If you want to complain, call the company that made the phone for not being proactive within the F/LOSS community and pre-emptively providing useful data to those teams. Also complain about only providing a few years of security patches while you are at it. Good luck with that.

Support for 14.04 will be ending in a few months. Most people here haven't used a 14.04-based desktop since 2016, so how to deal with those specific issues isn't at the front of their memory.
    You will need to move to either a 16.04 or 18.04 release soon-ish. On older hardware it is better to avoid "Ubuntu Desktop" proper and go with a lighter desktop. Which would work best depends on your current hardware. Probably best to open a new thread for that question, assuming a quick search of the forums doesn't provide enough guidance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm sorry, I didn't see what you said, and then when you said that last message, I ignored it because I didn't know what you meant. I'm sorry about that. I can't check at the moment, but I will try and get the log to you soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by k9r4n View Post
    Hey, this is an ongoing problem, and haven't found anything on the case yet. I have a Galaxy J3 Emerge (ARC1, Sprint) which I cannot access from Ubuntu. I haven't tried any other device, so I'm not sure if that helps improve the situation or not. Do I need a specific driver for my phone or the Android OS? The phone is rooted as well by the way.

Thanks!

k9r4n
    Easy way out- install Kubuntu with KDE, it has a brilliant piece of software called KDE connect. It can connect in many different formats, will give on-screen notifications and monitoring of 'phone calls in real-time, folder discovery etc. Cut and paste file operations too (permissions allowing).
    I have been using it since I had my old Samsung S3, so it works on really old Android versions.
    It connects easily to my now 2-year old ZTE Axon Elite and a one year old Huwei too.

Cheers Tony.
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.32Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast