Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to I access my phones files from Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: How to I access my phones files from Ubuntu?

KDE Connect is a good choice. Also you could try the Android app called Wifi File Transfer Pro. It turns the phone into a mini webserver. You open a browser and point to that server, then use the browser interface to upload/download files over the network. It's especially helpful with bulk transfers rather than a file or two.

I paid $3 for a license and have used it many times when nothing else seemed to connect properly.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!

I think there's probably a modicum hope after an informal test.

I just fired up my other laptop, with Ubuntu 18.04, and hooked up a new-sh (for me, at least) phone, not a Samsung, running Android 6.01. Although the phone initially switched to charge-only, switching it to MTP mode allowed me to access the SD card. Similarly with an older laptop running 14.04.

Don't give up just yet!
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

KDE is nice, but you don't need to swap your desktop to use KDE-connect. I saw there was a Gnome Shell solution a few months ago : https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/...ion-by-default

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1036...nsfer-files-se

But I doubt any of these will make udev work with any specific android device. Way back in the 12.04-14.04 times, I had to setup specific udev rules manually to get a Nexus4 recognized at all.

With my newer devices, connecting a minimal Ubuntu desktop (just openbox) with my phone and a Fire 8 tablet "just work", nothing manual necessary.

So ... no chance of an lsusb -t output? Open a terminal. Connect the phone via USB, run that command and post it back here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    I think there's probably a modicum hope after an informal test.

I just fired up my other laptop, with Ubuntu 18.04, and hooked up a new-sh (for me, at least) phone, not a Samsung, running Android 6.01. Although the phone initially switched to charge-only, switching it to MTP mode allowed me to access the SD card. Similarly with an older laptop running 14.04.

Don't give up just yet!
    I'm pretty sure lisati has got it right.

Go into the Android settings and in the connections/usb section change it to whatever works for simply copying or moving files; I'm not sure how that's described in Android 6.01 but it should be obvious.

I had (and still have) an old Android 4.1 system which connected fine to my Xubuntu OSs (yes, even 12.04) once I enabled the mass storage setting in the phone.

As Android 4.1 would connect easiy, I'm sure 6.01 will do so too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12