Thread: pulseaudio not working fo 2 users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

pulseaudio not working fo 2 users

i have installed 16.04.5 onto my new laptop and then loaded most of the files from the old laptop (a few into /etc, many into /root, and nearly a couple million into /home). the original system was installed as 16.04 and regularly upgraded (became 16.04.5) but still had kernel 4.4.0. the new one got kernel 4.15.0 from the 16.04.5 install/live minne pinne. i don't know if the kernel version is affecting things. but the user files were from a system with an older kernwl.

sound is not working for 2 users but is working for the others. the top bar audio icon is faded and the pulseaudio process is absent just for these 2 users. the files for all user cam from the old system which was running pulseaudio in --system mode. my intention is to run this one in --system mode, too. i have it not in --system mode, for now, to make debugging easier by bring in the mode most people use. the same breakage happens in --system mode, too.

where do i need to look to see why pulseaudio might be exiting or crashing? i have looked all over syslog and friends, but no message suggest anything odd going on. anyone have any ideas.

i posted in the desktop environments forum because it seems that my DE, Unity, has chosen it and launches it.
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: pulseaudio not working fo 2 users

Try going to Settings -> User & Groups and then chose one that user that doesn't have sound. Next go to Advanced and make sure that they have audio priveleges.

Beans
    Distro

there is no Advanced option for any user?
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I am on Xubuntu, so your screen could be different from mine. You need to navigate to your users/groups and search from there.

Beans
    Distro

there is very little to do in users/groups or user accounts. i can set use mode (standard vs. administrator), language, and password, add users, delete users (option to delete user files). i can also view login history.

all the users were set up the same way, then their backed up files were loaded. one of the broken users is where i browse/view youtube videos (so you can understand why i want to get sound working there), i went ahead and created a new one and brought in only select files (my saved videos and saved URLs). this one works. this further supports the idea that some file is the culprit. but i can do what i need to do now. i will go back to that broken one and try to narrow things down. i wish the structure of these graphical/desktop files made sense to me, but i am just a systems person.

Beans
    Distro

i found the problem. there was a file named $HOME/.config/pulse/client.conf with just the contents "autospawn = no". removal of this file and login of that user resulted in the sound working. this was found for exactly the 2 problem users.

i found this file in the backups for 3 users. the 3rd user did not get files restored because it is no longer needed for its original purpose. now i need to see if i can figure out why this file got created, or why autospawning of pulseaudio was turned off.