Thread: Samba Issue

Beans

Samba Issue

Hi I have had Samba working as an ADC for months under 18.04.01, the latest atp update appears to have broken something, (extract below), has anyone got any ideas at a little bit of a loss here

0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Setting up samba (2:4.7.6+dfsg~ubuntu-0ubuntu2.5) ...
    Job for smbd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status smbd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "restart" failed.
    ● smbd.service - Samba SMB Daemon
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/smbd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2018-11-30 21:43:41 GMT; 14ms ago
    Docs: man:smbd(8)
    man:samba(7)
    man:smb.conf(5)
    Process: 1050 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group $SMBDOPTIONS (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Main PID: 1050 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 30 21:43:41 Andromeda systemd[1]: Starting Samba SMB Daemon...
    Nov 30 21:43:41 Andromeda smbd[1050]: [2018/11/30 21:43:41.802334, 0] ../source3/smbd/server.c:1815(main)
    Nov 30 21:43:41 Andromeda smbd[1050]: server role = 'active directory domain controller' not compatible with running smbd standalone.
    Nov 30 21:43:41 Andromeda smbd[1050]: You should start 'samba' instead, and it will control starting smbd if required
    Nov 30 21:43:41 Andromeda systemd[1]: smbd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Nov 30 21:43:41 Andromeda systemd[1]: smbd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Nov 30 21:43:41 Andromeda systemd[1]: Failed to start Samba SMB Daemon.
    dpkg: error processing package samba (--configure):
    installed samba package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    samba
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Samba Issue

This happened to me even before the latest updates, and so far have not found a solution. I have uninstalled, deleted config files, reinstalled, etc. to no avail. It make take a fresh re-install of 18.04.1 to solve the issue, but I am not ready to do that just yet, especially since it may not solve the problem.
    -merlin

Beans

Re: Samba Issue

I found this thread looking for a solution to the same problem, and have since found a fix.

You need to mask and/or disable the non-AD samba services if you are using samba-ad-dc.

Code:
    sudo systemctl mask smbd nmbd winbind