Thread: Lexmark MX310 scanner portion not detected by XSANE

Beans

Lexmark MX310 scanner portion not detected by XSANE

I’m running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on all my computers. I have this multifunction laser printer from Lexmark, including a scanner, but I haven’t been using the scanner in ages - probably not since I’ve been running 16.04
    Now I urgently need to get a pile of paperwork scanned, and I’ve realized it doesn’t work at all. While the printer works just OK - connected via USB cable - neither Simple Scan nor XSANE manage to detect the scanner as such. They tell me there’s no device connected they can use.
    I tried installing [this driver ](http://support.lexmark.com/index?doc...rlocale=EN_US#) from Lexmark, which appeared to be the closest match: it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Lexmark tech support pointed me at SANE documentation, but I’ll confess feeling quite lost in it.

When I run XSANE it says “no devices available”. Running it as root user, same result (after the scare dialog).

This is the output for same-find-scanner, as a regular user and then as root:

Code:
    rafu@Anatrone:~$ sane-find-scanner # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer. # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter. could not open USB device 0x8087/0x0020 at 002:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions) could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 002:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions) could not open USB device 0x275d/0x0ba6 at 001:003: Access denied (insufficient permissions) found USB scanner (vendor=0x043d [Lexmark], product=0x0227 [Lexmark MX310dn]) at libusb:001:004 could not open USB device 0x8087/0x0020 at 001:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions) could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions) # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend’s manpage. # Not checking for parallel port scanners. # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports # can’t be detected by this program. # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as # necessary.
    Code:
    rafu@Anatrone:~$ sudo sane-find-scanner [sudo] password for rafu: # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer. # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter. found USB scanner (vendor=0x043d [Lexmark], product=0x0227 [Lexmark MX310dn]) at libusb:001:004 # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend’s manpage. # Not checking for parallel port scanners. # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports # can’t be detected by this program.
    Any idea what else I could try?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Lexmark MX310 scanner portion not detected by XSANE

As suggested, did you try...?
    Code:
    scanimage -L
    You also did not indicate which drivers you downloaded and installed.
    RE: http://support.lexmark.com/index?pag...erlocale=EN_US

I found these drivers on referenced page,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/