Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help needed with possible DNS related issue with Comcast mail servers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help needed with possible DNS related issue with Comcast mail servers

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Please don't "update" the bug by posting. That only confuses things. Simply use the "Affects me" button.
    Sorry for that. Thanks for the correction and for the clarification.

Peace...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerry47 View Post
    I ran across this article about DNS issues with Systemd-resolved. Since I have a laptop running Ubuntu 18.04 as a test machine and don't care if I break it, I decided to disable systemd-resolved and replace it with unbound. The pop3 email issue is fixed. Here's the link. https://blobfolio.com/2017/05/fix-li...temd-resolved/ It proves that two things occurred. Comcast did make the redirection change on or just before November 19th and Systemd-resolved has a problem.
    Just discovered the same problem yesterday after changing to imap with Comcast and Thunderbird. I can confirm that the solution put forth in the above post has solved the issue for me. Many thanks.

Beans

Something happened, for the moment, email seems to be working again. Looks like Comast did something . . .

Beans

One thing further. Using ../run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf link to /etc/resolv.conf yields different result than ../run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf link to /etc/resolv.conf. The ../run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf link appears to yield expected operation of email clients. An IPv6 address is used rather than an IPv4. Does anyone know why different versions of resolv.conf might yield different result?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by dhlocker View Post
    Rather than using a fixed IP address, I reset the server name to imap.ge.xfinity.com (the canonical name for imap.comcast.net) then had to submit my password for the newly-named server. Works a treat.
    Yes. in TBird change mail.comcast.net to imap.ge.xfinity.com
    it will ask about the certificate.
    Say okay to save this exception.
    On next read it will ask for password - just give it the same one you used before.
    no renaming of files - easy.
    Ubuntu prob. Bypassed
    ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, Dual boot (BIOS/MBR): Grub, Ubuntu 18.10 / Win7 Pro x64 . 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 250GB SSD. Fast!

Beans

I, too, have the same problem. I went to Ubuntu 18.04, thus systemd-resolve, and my Comcast pop mail (evolution) quit.

I changed mail.comcast.net to imap.ge.xfinity.com and mail works. A precarious work-around.

I just found this and haven’t read all four pages yet, but found that mail.comcast.net is a cname entry with no ipv6 ‘a’ entries.
    ‘ping pop3.comcast.net’ and ‘ping mail.comcast.net’ both fail to convert name to ip,
    but ‘ping -4 pop3.comcast.net’ will succeed in converting the name to imap.ge.xfinity.com.

I think systemd (systemd-resolve) is the problem, not any of the (non-127.0.0.53) dns clients.

So so far pop and the work-around work. I’m not confident that the systemd bug will be fixed any time soon.
    Or that the work-around will not have to be modified in the future...

Beans

I found additional help here:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-.../false#M204051

I have Thunderbird configured for IMAP with Comcast. It stopped working on 30 November 2018. As was noted earlier, Thunderbird works as expected in Windows 10, so the issue is with Linux and Thunderbird. As ShellMeister recommends on the Comcast forum, installing libnss-resolve fixed the issue for me. Still, it is not clear to me if this is just another workaround like changing the imap server to imap.ge.xfinity.com.

Cheers.

Beans

Smile Re: Help needed with possible DNS related issue with Comcast mail servers

I found the advice above useful, with some differences.

For the incoming server, I used the IP address found from nslookup,

nslookup imap.comcast.net
    Server: 127.0.0.53
    Address: 127.0.0.53#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    imap.comcast.net canonical name = imap.ge.xfinity.com.
    Name: imap.ge.xfinity.com
    Address: 96.118.148.71

So I plugged in 96.118.148.71 in place of imap.comcast,net. All other settings, like port, authentication method (Normal Password) and Connection security (SSL/TLS) remained as before.

I then, as mentioned above, had to agree to the certificate override. I could now receive incoming mail but outgoing did not work. Here's what I found:
    I could ping smtp.comcast.net so there was no need to plug in the IP address or smtp.g.comcast.net. I found I had to change the connection security to STARTTLS, per the Comcast recommendation here:
    https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...up-thunderbird

I was then able to send messages.

Thanks for the guidance of all those above.
    Last edited by kjaspan; 2 Days Ago at 02:45 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234