Thread: The specified location is not mounted

Beans

The specified location is not mounted

Ok, please be easy on me. I have kinda been going in over my head with ubuntu.

A while back somebody showed me Nextcloud so I threw stock Ubuntu on a spare desktop I had to try it out. (I have no idea how command line linux works, so I wanted to start with a non server version)
    I fallowed some guide and used a cheap domain and had it all up and running. I have messed up something (I think with the domain settings but I cant login local so idk) and I want to just start over, but I want to get the files off the server. I found that they are stored in var/snap/nextcloud/common/nextcloud/data/[nextcloud un]. They all look to be there, but when I try copy them to somewhere like the desktop I get a "error while copying". The extra details say the specific location is not mounted, and I have no idea where to go from here.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Re: The specified location is not mounted

Where are you trying to copy them to?

Beans

The desktop/ a usb drive to get the files off the system to my main pc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Can you please copy and paste the exact command you ran and the error message you saw?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Can you please copy and paste the exact command you ran and the error message you saw?
    I was using the file explorer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by eli3777 View Post
    I was using the file explorer
    Regarding how to use command line in Ubuntu, from the menu open a Terminal (Short cut keys Alt+Ctrl+t). If you want to copy a directory use the command cp -R <path to directory> <path of destination folder>.

To check where your disk is mounted use command
    Code:
     lsblk
    In your case the code will be (assuming you are using a usb drive which is mounted on /media/<your_username>/<UUID_of_USB_Disk>

Code:
     cp -R /var/snap/nextcloud/common/nextcloud/data/  /media/<your_username>/<UUID_of_USB_Disk>
    If error is 'permission denied' try the same command using 'sudo' before cp.
    Learning...... Little odd way for here, read as much as you can before trying anything....
    and get confused enough to forget the actual task.........