Thread: My scrollbars are now missing

Beans

My scrollbars are now missing

I don't know what I did, but whenever I load any new themes, there are no scrollbars in most applications(including FireFox, Nautilus, Chrome). If I load a preinstalled theme, there are scrollbars.

I have Ubuntu 18.04 and I am using Unity as my window manager. I have tried the scrollbar tools in Unity Tweak Tool but the scrollbars are still missing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: My scrollbars are now missing

Are they actually missing completely or are they simply hidden until you bring the cursor to the right hand edge of the window, then showing as a movable narrow edge mark which you can pull up or down?

The scrollbars in gtk3, or lack of them as they used to be, have been a cause a great concern to many users, but to the best of my knowledge there is no quick answer which lets you get back to the old style scrollbars; I have seen a few supposed methods to get them back but nothing has worked for me when I've tried them.

Beans

I recommend the clearlooks-phenix theme if you want scrollbars with up and down arrows.

https://www.gnome-look.org/content/s...content=145210

Beans

Did your window manager crash maybe?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Are they actually missing completely or are they simply hidden until you bring the cursor to the right hand edge of the window, then showing as a movable narrow edge mark which you can pull up or down?

The scrollbars in gtk3, or lack of them as they used to be, have been a cause a great concern to many users, but to the best of my knowledge there is no quick answer which lets you get back to the old style scrollbars; I have seen a few supposed methods to get them back but nothing has worked for me when I've tried them.
    They are completely missing. Nothing pops up when I hover over the edges of windows. As soon as I change the theme to a preinstalled theme, the scrollbars pop up.

It actually looks like Chrome does have it's own scroll bars. Firefox is missing them unless I switch to a preinstalled theme.

Beans

I still haven't been able to figure this out on my primary laptop. The same theme on different systems has the scroll bars. I must have changed something by either running a command or clicking a box.

I'm using Unity Tweak Tool to set my theme. I also have Compiz running. The theme is Dorian with a few modifications of my own. The scroll bars wont show up with other Dorian-type themes either.