Thread: Not enough free disk space on boot for update

Beans

Not enough free disk space on boot for update

Hi,

I've been ignoring the software updates for a while, and now the Software Updater is giving me the following message:
    The upgrade needs a total of 94.4 M free space on disk '/boot'. Please free at least an additional 51.8 M of disk space on '/boot'. You can remove old kernels using 'sudo apt autoremove', and you could also set COMPRESS=xz in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf to reduce the size of your initramfs.
    Before I simply hit 'sudo apt autoremove' I thought I'd rather ask, cause I smell some risk here.

Please advise.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: Not enough free disk space on boot for update

You probably have a somewhat small /boot partition and accumulated too many old kernels. You only need a /boot partition if you use LVM or full disk encryption. Try
    Code:
    sudo apt autoremove --purge
    and see if that helps. It's the suggested command, with the purge option to clean it a bit more thoroughly. If not, run
    Code:
    dpkg --list 'linux-*'
    and show us the output. First make your terminal window large, so we can read long lines of output. That tells us which kernel-related packages are installed. Also run
    Code:
    uname -r
    df -h
    to show us the currently running kernel and available space on your file systems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Only hold the last 2 kernels version and purge the others. This is usually made by autoscript nowadays. So my question: which flavour is it ?
    Synaptic is an easy tool for such maintenance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Those commands shown by Impavidus are the ones we need to see output of so please let's see that and we can then move forward.

I suspect the autoremove command will do nothing as apt needs more headroom than you will have available and we are probably going to need to begin with a dpkg remove command, however we need to know exactly what to remove which the dpkg --list linux-* command will tell us.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Thank you for the replies.
    It's ubuntu 16.04 I'm running

sudo apt autoremove --purge seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Great news!

I am a bit surprised that it worked for you as there is generally insufficient headroom for autoremove to be successful if you have seen that error, but please now mark as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu up-top if this really is now solved to your satisfaction. It is a great help to users searching the forum.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads