Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Partitions on Windows/Ubuntu dual boot: Should I resize, if so, how?

Beans

Re: Partitions on Windows/Ubuntu dual boot: Should I resize, if so, how?

So calling it /dev/sda6, since sda 1 to 5 are already taken, would be right, I think? And from what that tutorial says, more than 4 makes it logical rather than primary, so these seem like the answers to go for.
    At 7 yrs old I'm guessing my drive counts as older.
    Hope I have this right now!

Beans

Gparted partitionSatEve.png
    So far so good - result.
    Now I'm starting on instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pa...ng/Home/Moving in post#2 here.
    Finding uuid was fine, that's copied and saved.
    I get:
    /dev/sda6: UUID="3b55d810-a3ca-4dd0-9738-4394ee52dac4" TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="UbuntuData" PARTUUID="18969055-7f6b-45c0-b79f-4964ec70f636"

Now I'm quickly moving out of my depth.
    Next instruction is:
    Fstab.png

I made the mistake of not realising all three lines at "Setup fstab" had to by typed before anything happened, but having done this, I get
    fstab terminal window.png
    and a text editor page showing
    fstab white page.png
    I can't align the instructions....
    [starts]

3. Open the original fstab in a text editor:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab and add these lines into it
    # (identifier) (location, eg sda5) (format, eg ext3 or ext4) (some settings)
    UUID=???????? /media/home ext3 defaults 0 2 and replace the "????????" with the UUID number of the intended /home partition.
    NOTE: In the above example, the specified partition in the new text is an ext3, but if yours is an ext4 partition, you should change the part above that says "ext3" to say "ext4", in addition to replacing the ???'s with the correct UUID.

[ends]

....with what I've got in that text editor. Given that I hope I've supplied as much as possible here, I'd really appreciate an idiot's guide to the this, please.
    Or have I simply gone in so far over my depth it isn't going to work for me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Run this first:
    lsblk -f

That should show UUID of your new /home partition. You will replace the ??? with that UUID.
    And most partitions are ext4, so change the type to ext4 from ext3 in example.

UUID=3b55d810-a3ca-4dd0-9738-4394ee52dac4 /media/home ext4 defaults 0 2

Besure to follow all steps and if errors post back.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Ok, running lsblk -f confirmed that the new UUID is, as you copied in,
    3b55d810-a3ca-4dd0-9738-4394ee52dac4 That's good.

Where I'm still stuck is trying to identify which bits go where, in the text editor page which comes up.
    Here's the image I posted earlier - having followed the instructions, the same page just popped up now:fstab white page.png

I'm sorry to be so dense, but don't want to louse up now, and to my inexperienced eyes it's not looking as straightforward as the example given.
    So I have to check before I move on.

Main question: I am not sure whether I simply add the line you typed - "3b55d810-a3ca-4dd0-9738-4394ee52dac4/media/home ext4 defaults 0 2" to the file as a stand-alone line, (if so, as a new line at the end?), or if I need to replace some of the file as it stands in the text editor.

If I just add this line at the end, that's easy. If I have to edit what's already there I have more questions!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You just add it to the bottom.

And one of next commands is this:
    And running this to remount using edited fstab should return nothing. If an error, you have to fix it before rebooting.
    sudo mount -a
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Something needs fixing, it appears.
    I added the line in. Wasn't sure if it needs a # to start or not, so tried both ways.
    Here's what I ended up with.
    text after edit fstab.png
    And here's what the Terminal showed during my attempts.
    Terminal after fstab edited.png
    It's late where i live - I'll come back for the next round tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The # is for comments or to remove temporarily a line. You do not want hashtag.

You have a space at beginning of line, not sure what that does, but computers are very particular. Try without space.

The instructions had you create the mount point first. Before remounting from fstab.
    sudo mkdir /media/home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

oldfred? Why is GParted always suggested? What is wrong with the partitioning tool within the Ubuntu installation?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I happen to prefer gparted. Seems easier somehow, or gives more info.
    If you wanted gpt with BIOS boot you had to use gparted.

Otherwise you can use the partitioning tool in the installer.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_York View Post
    So calling it /dev/sda6, since sda 1 to 5 are already taken, would be right, I think? And from what that tutorial says, more than 4 makes it logical rather than primary, so these seem like the answers to go for.
    At 7 yrs old I'm guessing my drive counts as older.
    Hope I have this right now!
    No, your drive uses GPT partitioning, so it counts as a newer drive. But all went well.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_York View Post
    Something needs fixing, it appears.
    I added the line in. Wasn't sure if it needs a # to start or not, so tried both ways.
    There's a sort of informal standard that there are comment characters, usually # or %. Whenever you encounter a file that has, interspersed with lines of code, some lines of natural language starting with one of these characters, you can safely assume those are comment characters. Every line starting with a comment character is ignored by the program interpreting the file, so those lines are comments, just to make the file more readable to the humans editing it or to temporarily disable a particular line.

I now realise there one thing in that tutorial that's not exactly as it should be. It occasionally instructs you to run
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    Running gedit (or any other GUI application) with sudo and no other precautions may have some unpleasant consequences, although generally not hard to fix. There are several alternatives, like
    Code:
    sudo -H gedit /etc/fstab
    temporarily using root's home directory, or
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/fstab
    using the terminal-based nano editor instead of gedit. As usual in terminal applications, there's no mouse in nano. Just use the keyboard and ctrl+x to save and close.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast