Thread: Different themes for different desktops environments for the same user?

Beans

Different themes for different desktops environments for the same user?

I have two desktop environments installed on one computer, one is Budgie, one is Unity. I like Ambience on Ubuntu and Picollo on Budgie, both seem to have to be set to all desktops simultaneously based on what's happening.

My current solution is something along the lines of creating a startup script for detecting the current desktop environment, changing the theme based on which it is (not sure how to do this yet), terminate script.

While this seems like it may work well, it doesn't seem very elegant. Is there a proper way to do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Different themes for different desktops environments for the same user?

Both DE's are currently gnome based and will display the same themes and icons. Budgie is slowly moving to QT and I have no idea how it will function as a second DE when this happens.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Different themes for different desktops environments for the same user?

I don't dual boot much anymore but it is the best way imo to do this. I use LVM for my disk partitioning. Disk space is cheap. I simply install a few copies of whatever, in this case Ubuntu. Each has it's own DE. Each installation has it's own dedicated /home. I have my normal /home/"$USER"/folders in a separate /data partition that is mounted in each one. 3 entire separate installations, no settings intermix and cause problems. And my data is available in all of them without any issue. Is probably a better way than this though.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; November 16th, 2018 at 09:23 PM.