Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange boot screen.

Beans

Strange boot screen.

I went to start up my laptop and at first it shows the ubuntu loading screen. Then it changes to a black screen with a list of code I don't understand. What is going on? I've had nothing but problems since downloading Ubuntu. Even my dad has given up on it.

The first three lines of code from the latest screen to come up is:
    [ OK ] Started daily cleanup of Temporary Directories
    [ OK ] Reached target Timers
    [ OK ] Listening on Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Activation Socket.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Strange boot screen.

Those messages, so far as I can tell, are completely benign parts of the boot process.

The code that you're getting is just the boot process. It's normally covered by the ubuntu start screen, but if you press a key while the start screen is on, it'll vanish and you will be able to see the boot processes doing their thing. They're displayed in chronological order, with the latest thing appearing at the bottom. If ubuntu is failing to start properly, the last few lines of code (i.e. the ones at the bottom of the screen) will be the ones that'll tell us what's going wrong. Could we have those, please?
    =========
    "You mean the world's going to end and you'd forgotten about it?"

Beans

It pops up even when I don't touch anything while I'm booting. How many of the last lines of code do you need? Also, it will stop scrolling and working on anything after a moment. It just sits there. What's worse, I can't find out how much battery I have left.

Beans

What's worse, I can't find out how much battery I have left.

Just for information - once you get to see a login and password ............ Ctrl+Alt+(function key 1) - login with your username and password as normal if it allows it.

you will see a

$

then type in the following to get your battery status ............ ( this works on my own and the results are below the instruction )

Code:
    $ upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
    Code:
    native-path:          BAT0
      vendor:               [MKF_CUSTOMER]
      model:                [MKF_BASEBOARD_ID]
      power supply:         yes
      updated:              Thu 15 Nov 2018 07:06:51 PM CET (116 seconds ago)
      has history:          yes
      has statistics:       yes
      battery
        present:             yes
        rechargeable:        yes
        state:               fully-charged
        warning-level:       none
        energy:              48.2112 Wh
        energy-empty:        0 Wh
        energy-full:         49.4316 Wh
        energy-full-design:  56.16 Wh
        energy-rate:         0 W
        voltage:             12.398 V
        percentage:          97%
        capacity:            88.0192%
        technology:          lithium-ion
        icon-name:          'battery-full-charged-symbolic'
    Just thought this might help for that part of the problem ....... you may come back to this later on - once you get to a command line at least.
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; November 15th, 2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: added Ctrl+Alt+Fn1 ....... to get to a console - just to check the battery - but will also show if user can get to a cmdline

Beans

I don't even get to login. I tried ctrl + alt + F1 on the screen but it does nothing. Help please! It seems the last bit of code is pretty consistent.
    [ Ok ] Reached target Sound Card.' for details.d...details. reporting is enabled. was shut down....

What does this mean?

Beans

Same situation for me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@malikiag and @mp3coldco

"my laptop won't boot" is so vague as to be virtually worthless

we need more information to be able to help...such as:

laptop model
    processors
    memory capacity
    Ubuntu version 18.04 ???
    etc

more information is better than no information

tommy
    Last edited by NM5TF; November 16th, 2018 at 05:41 AM.
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by malikiag View Post
    I don't even get to login. I tried ctrl + alt + F1 on the screen but it does nothing. Help please! It seems the last bit of code is pretty consistent.
    [ Ok ] Reached target Sound Card.' for details.d...details. reporting is enabled. was shut down....

What does this mean?
    As I said earlier, the code you're seeing is the boot process happening. Or not happening by the looks of things.

So what happens next? Does the laptop just stay with this message as the last thing on the screen?

And as NM5TF said, it would help us to know the make and model of the laptop and the edition of Ubuntu you're using.
    =========
    "You mean the world's going to end and you'd forgotten about it?"

Beans

It's a converted Lenovo X131e. It used to have ChromeOS but It was a pain to use so I switched. I'm using Bionic Beaver 18.04. As for the code, I remember once it had sat for almost a half hour and two new sets of code came onto the screen. I can't remember what they said and the laptop is dead so I can't check. I remember the first part, the part of the code on both lines that has brackets were around a set of numbers not OK like the rest.

Beans

I think it has 15 GB of memory, but it was running low last time I was on. When I turn my laptop on, it show the purple screen, then the ubuntu logo with the 5 loading dots underneath. Then it just changes the the screen full of code.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast