Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended WIFI USB plug?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Recommended WIFI USB plug?

I need to get a desktop PC onto WiFi (using tethering from my phone - for some reason USB tethering doesn't work on this phone, it did on my old one, but WiFi tethering does work). So I got a very cheap (about £5 on ebay) tiny USB WiFi receiver. It's hardly any bigger than the USB plug. However it didn't work plug and play, it turned out to have a Ralink MT7601U chipset which isn't natively supported so I followed these instructions to try to set it up https://askubuntu.com/questions/4570...llation#554278
    Got to the last line of the instructions
    Code:
    sudo modprobe mt7601Usta
    and when I entered that the computer froze completely, not even the mouse would work. Had to hard shutdown it, but it wouldn't restart without hanging. When I took the USB WiFi plug out then it would boot up (phew!) but then I tried plugging it in again and it instantly froze completely again.
    So can anyone offer any suggestions for (a) making this work or (b) recommend a similar one that's natively supported and doesn't need me to install any drivers?
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Recommended WIFI USB plug?

I haven't seen any mt7601u device work successfully in many years. I think it's a dead end.

Please check here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2397914
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Using Tp-link from 2 years and still going strong.

Beans
    Distro

makhtc: what model TP-Link are you using? Was it plug and play or did you have to build and install drivers? Are there any of these things that do work plug and play?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have a TP Link TL WN722N 150 Mbps version 1 that works well, plug and play for quite a while with Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

Thank you Jeremy. If possible I'd prefer one of the tiny ones, I don't need a big antenna on it. Does anyone know of a little one that's plug and play?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You could try the WN723N but the small size will limit the distance between you and router. The kernel module is still in staging

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-lin...ux-tpe-n150usb uses the same chipset as the WN722N so that would work

Beans
    Distro

Distance to the router (my phone!) is no issue at all. How about WN725N, do you know if that's also the same chipset? It seems easier to get hold of.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The WN725N seems to be supported by the r8188eu module https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN725N_v2

Beans
    Distro

Cracking, I'll give it a try and report back.
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast