Thread: why cant i enable 7.1 sorrund sound?

Beans

Unhappy why cant i enable 7.1 sorrund sound?

hi! on windows 10 7.1 sorround sound working flawwlesly on ubuntu settings i can just enable 5.1 sound 7.1 doesnt show up i have tried pulseaudio and that didnt work either so i did try to edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf instead of 2 on audio channels i tried 8, that didnt work either so why cant i use 7.1 sound? i would apriciate help with gui or something i dont want to edit text in command line thats just stupid then nautilius is bether to edit text.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: why cant i enable 7.1 sorrund sound?

Thread moved to Multimedia Software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by enzo1337 View Post
    hi! on windows 10 7.1 sorround sound working flawwlesly on ubuntu settings i can just enable 5.1 sound 7.1 doesnt show up i have tried pulseaudio and that didnt work either so i did try to edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf instead of 2 on audio channels i tried 8, that didnt work either so why cant i use 7.1 sound? i would apriciate help with gui or something i dont want to edit text in command line thats just stupid then nautilius is bether to edit text.
    Enzo-

You will need to provide much more information on your system for us to assist you. In your profile edit your signature to show what hardware/software you are using, see mine below.

We will need to know what kind of interface with your sound card you use, that is the critical hardware information needed.

For instance, I have mine hooked up to my Nvidia 960 card via HDMI. My pulseaudio shows that it has HDMI2 stereo output, all others show as unplugged. This gives me true 7.1 because the HDMI cable which is switched through my home theatre amplifier and decodes the signals correctly, even though pulseaudio says it is just stereo. I use Mythtv which has a good white noise test regime for testing this out, but you will need to do a lot of trial and error before you can actually get the right value.

There is a good thread here on the multimedia for multi-channel surround problems through HDMI with how-tos.

Best regards, Tony.
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.32Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans

im using analog and i use the soundcard on my asus z97-a motherboard the speakers are just some creative 7.1 setup it doesnt matter right?

Beans
    Distro

im using analog and i use the soundcard on my asus z97-a motherboard the speakers are just some creative 7.1 setup it doesnt matter right?
    Enzo

You are not giving us much to go on, please post your system, ubuntu flavour, desktop type and kernel. You haven't done a signature. If you can't help us by providing the information we have asked for, why bother posting here at all?

Tony.
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.32Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans

okay i will do a research when i have time how to get all the info thanks for answer.

Beans
    Distro

okay i will do a research when i have time how to get all the info thanks for answer.
    Enzo-

Use these commands:

more /etc/*-release

or

cat /etc/*-release

For kernel:

uname -r

Tony

Beans

okay thanks will do that when i come home

sorry for being unhelpfull :/ probably had a bad day, anyway here you go on the command you asked for (the first one)

Code:
    ::::::::::::::
    /etc/lsb-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS"
    /etc/os-release
    NAME="Ubuntu"
    VERSION="18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"
    ID=ubuntu
    ID_LIKE=debian
    PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS"
    VERSION_ID="18.04"
    HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
    SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
    PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-poli
    cy"
    VERSION_CODENAME=bionic
    UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic
    second one

Code:
    4.15.0-39-generic

also my sound card is:
    Code:
    Realtek® ALC892 8  channels
    Last edited by howefield; February 13th, 2019 at 05:55 PM. Reason: posts merged and code tags added.