Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how to configure squid to use ssh tunnel for external sites?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: how to configure squid to use ssh tunnel for external sites?

I'd recommend caution in using openvpn on any router. May want to read up about the pros/cons in doing that first.

I'm confused about going to all these lengths for privacy, but hosting anything on google-cloud. Very counter intuitive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I'd recommend caution in using openvpn on any router. May want to read up about the pros/cons in doing that first.
    Not doing it right now. As I said I may use more features of OpenVPN as I understand the product better.

I'm confused about going to all these lengths for privacy, but hosting anything on google-cloud. Very counter intuitive.
    Had no choice. Due to the configuration of the network my township has, access to my home network is not straightforward. I need to cross three firewalls before I can access my server at home which is not allowed.

My main requirement was to have a VPN while on travel because I travel and a lot and use hotspots. OpenVPN privatetunnel does not offer servers in India hence connection is very slow if I go to hongkong or EU servers. US servers are out of question.

I don't see any security risk hosting it on Google. I block all the ports. VPN port is open only for a specific IP. so every time I want to use it, I find public ip and open VPN port only for that IP.

Do you see any risk on that? What other privacy considerations I should take if I want to host this on Google Cloud ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kunalv-shah View Post
    Not doing it right now. As I said I may use more features of OpenVPN as I understand the product better.

Had no choice. Due to the configuration of the network my township has, access to my home network is not straightforward. I need to cross three firewalls before I can access my server at home which is not allowed.

My main requirement was to have a VPN while on travel because I travel and a lot and use hotspots. OpenVPN privatetunnel does not offer servers in India hence connection is very slow if I go to hongkong or EU servers. US servers are out of question.

I don't see any security risk hosting it on Google. I block all the ports. VPN port is open only for a specific IP. so every time I want to use it, I find public ip and open VPN port only for that IP.

Do you see any risk on that? What other privacy considerations I should take if I want to host this on Google Cloud ?
    Please explain your requirements with a diagram? Will be able to provide better solutions when the requirements are clear.
    Learning...... Little odd way for here, read as much as you can before trying anything....
    and get confused enough to forget the actual task.........

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I understand needing to host it externally, but google? Do you really trust google? Perhaps I'm spoiled. We have 100 different VPS providers here with 20+ for $5/month or less. Google makes their money by gathering our data and selling access to it. You are forcing all that data to use their infrastructure as a gateway. I couldn't get passed that little detail with google as the gatekeeper.
    Google knows security, but I just don't trust them on the privacy aspect. The metadata they capture is scary enough to me. I couldn't imagine providing them with direct access to the data too.

But everyone has different comfort levels.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I understand needing to host it externally, but google? Do you really trust google? Perhaps I'm spoiled. We have 100 different VPS providers here with 20+ for $5/month or less. Google makes their money by gathering our data and selling access to it. You are forcing all that data to use their infrastructure as a gateway. I couldn't get passed that little detail with google as the gatekeeper.
    Google knows security, but I just don't trust them on the privacy aspect. The metadata they capture is scary enough to me. I couldn't imagine providing them with direct access to the data too.

But everyone has different comfort levels.
    You are right. well actually in India we have only two cloud providers, google and aws. and I have 200$ credit from google so I am trying stuff there and getting taste of things. Once finalised, I may move to other cloud service providers like AWS.

Regarding VPS, I checked with the most and they don't have servers in India and going to Hongkong or EU servers is too much latency.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You are right. well actually in India we have only two cloud providers, google and aws. and I have 200$ credit from google so I am trying stuff there and getting taste of things. Once finalised, I may move to other cloud service providers like AWS.

Regarding VPS, I checked with the most and they don't have servers in India and going to Hongkong or EU servers is too much latency.
    If you have data that needs privacy and need to access it from Internet, you can setup your own vpn server on the same machine or on a low price machine (if you are scared to use same for both!). But will cost you a little more with network setup (isp backup). The basic of security is CIA (confidentiality, integrity and accessibility), how much you want to trade one for another!
    Learning...... Little odd way for here, read as much as you can before trying anything....
    and get confused enough to forget the actual task.........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123