Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Trouble with installing Nvida 390 driver on Ubuntu 18.10

Beans

Re: Trouble with installing Nvida 390 driver on Ubuntu 18.10

Well that didnt work either and it all seemed to go as it should. It boot up to login and then the screen goes black and then the monitor loses signal and goes on standby. What a shame. Well had to try it just to eliminate that possibility.

I have had that Asus motherboard arrive but there is no guaratee it will work as it has onboard nvidia graphics. Still it would be nice to resolve this if possible mainly because this asrock motherboard is rock solid reliable and has plenty of connectivity for me testing things. What do you say??

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    Sounds like the graphics driver failed as it should have gone into lightdm here ...........
    but if anyone knows of another reason it did not go in - please say ....... if any suspicion of something else ....

$ startx mate

might have got you directly into mate ...... but if its the graphics driver then that also would fail ..... with a message though that might be useful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the only thread I can see where they might have had success .......

I am not saying to use it though as everything is in your own hands and responsibility for such an old driver .....

The discussion mentions all the problems and its only at the end they do come up with a solution - but its for a different card to yours ........... you takes your own risks with things
    like this ......... they mention security risks ....... but there may be others too ....... have a read - that is all I can say for this. There are 3 pages to the full link below .... for info only

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/nvid...4/16787?page=3
    That was a great find 23dornot23d and i read all through the 2nd part and like with me it didnt work for everyone. It probaby would have worked with the geforce 9800GT but not with the GTX480. But even at the very end there was someone who succeeded with a GTX750 so i am going to try a few of these. Has everyone else given us on this now? Anyway thanks for the help everyone 23dornot23d there is still a chance this could still work even trying this process using the latest drivers like the 340 one as someone else did. What do you think?

[QUOTE=CatKiller;13822008]/quote

Well I have had to give up myself now after trying everything in those articles 23dornot23d found. It seems there must be a possible issue with the way that motherboard handles its PCI/e & 2 AGP sockets. I have now changed over to that Asus P5G41T-MLX motherboard and its running nice using its onboard intel graphics chip so may not need those Nvidia GTX4800 or 9800GT grahics cards.

Well thanks anyway everyone but even my extreme patience eventually ran out.
    Last edited by howefield; December 10th, 2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans

Well glad to hear you have a system running now ..... no doubt it picked up the intel quite easily - which should always be the case.
    Glad you are sorted now and can use Ubuntu .... best of luck and thanks for all the nice comments throughout as well as being patient
    the new board sounds good too .....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    Well glad to hear you have a system running now ..... no doubt it picked up the intel quite easily - which should always be the case.
    Glad you are sorted now and can use Ubuntu .... best of luck and thanks for all the nice comments throughout as well as being patient
    the new board sounds good too .....
    you were a better expert on linux than i will ever be. lol. cheers!
    User #386576 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415