Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble with installing Nvida 390 driver on Ubuntu 18.10

Beans

Re: Trouble with installing Nvida 390 driver on Ubuntu 18.10

Yes well its up to you - when you want to carry on - or if you are happy and have a good system now - why not stick with it for a while

or if you want to try a separate install alongside what you have we can still keep going .........

Looks like you have got the bug again ....

I went and ordered another more up to date (for me) Asus motherboard to experiment with as well
    Which board have you ordered ? ( you have to make sure your power supply can handle things etc ..... )

================================================== ================

Have a read here though - I found this later on when looking through the bugs list .... for drivers

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...0/+bug/1790219
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; December 1st, 2018 at 05:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    the 304 driver is being used ....... I read something on the Nvidia site about older cards not using the newer drivers
    but its good to see it works ok ....... nvidia settings and everything ....
    The 9800 is supported up till the 340 branch. Support was dropped for the 390 branch.

Beans

Which board have you ordered ? ( you have to make sure your power supply can handle things etc ..... )
    Its a s/h Asus P5G41 T-MLX (coming with proccesor and ram) nothing much better than this one just a bit newer and more mainstream although i wish it had been ATX not uatx.
    Its will either be my main desktop now or for experiementing on. Ive got a Acer laptop I use Ubuntu on as well. The desktop is my work pc that i use with my vintage equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    The 9800 is supported up till the 340 branch. Support was dropped for the 390 branch.
    I did try the 3.40 driver but it failed. only the 304 would work. I havent tried the GTX4800 with this mint version or its ubuntu equivilent yet.
    User #386576 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Beans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroATX

Thus, microATX motherboards can be used in full-size ATX cases. Furthermore, most microATX motherboards generally use the same power connectors as ATX motherboards,[4] thus permitting the use of full-size ATX power supplies with microATX boards.

Ive got a Acer laptop I use Ubuntu on as well. The desktop is my work pc that i use with my vintage equipment.
    As long as it works ......... what was the cpu monitor like when using the nvidia driver .........

I should imagine it was really low .......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroATX

As long as it works ......... what was the cpu monitor like when using the nvidia driver .........

I should imagine it was really low .......

Its just 36c and its been on for couple of hours.
    These things are like star wars to me as I started on computers when they were cp/m thing with 7" floppies. I repair/restore old computers for fun.

Beans

I started on computers when they were cp/m thing with 7" floppies. I repair/restore old computers for fun.
    No wonder you have loads of patience ............. then ..............
    I started building them when moving from 5 1/4 to 3.5 inch disks 720k to 1.44 meg
    .......... seems like yesterday ..... mmm ............. separate co-processor and main CPU ....
    first one I bought cost a arm and leg and you had to be ever so careful to line all the pins up and get them
    to go in parallel .... must admit though starting my old desktop up - I did not realise how slow it was back
    then as everything was comparable ..... well back to the problem at hand ...... if it still is one now.
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; December 1st, 2018 at 08:04 PM.

Beans

Yep the good ol days when ram was measured in kilobytes.

Here is something for you to get your teeth into if your intersted. I took out the 9800GTX and put the GTX480SE in again and no matter what driver I tried it failed just at the login point either with a error message or that annoying balck sceeen with the little cusor top right. I did managed one of the errors gave me a suggestion to look at systemctl so ive put it in a pastbin for you to see.

The errors were

Failed to start Light Display manager.
    Started Thermal Daemon services
    Started LSB: load kernel modules needed to enable cpufreq scaling
    [quote] Failed to start Light display manager
    see 'systemctl' status lightdm.service.for details.

Systemctl output here :https://pastebin.com/embed_js/nzQM2cZy

Beans

Nothing really showing up in that ..... everything seems to have loaded .... this is the only line I can see that relates to graphics.

graphical.target loaded active active Graphical Interface
    Its probably not communicating with the graphics card for whatever reason - it knows its there or something is there ...... maybe a fault on that graphics card ......
    but still not enough information to rule it out as bad for sure yet - that systemd log would be useful if there is a way to get it !!!

pybootchart - was something we used to be able to run .... showed what was happening at boot and through to the desktop .... all processes ...
    seems its gone now .... a nice chart was produced .... not sure if it would have given more clues or not ........ http://www.bootchart.org/

What does this show for what you have set to load at the moment - although - the second one might not work.

dkms status

and if you can get this to work ....in any way ....

journalctl --boot
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; December 1st, 2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: what else records things at boot .... as systemd is not something i use .... maybe someone else knows how when no screen

Beans

Will do it in the morning. Ive been at yhis solid for 13 hours and need some sleep now. Night night

Beans

ok night ..... am messing with Devuan at the moment - so keep swapping distros ..... cheers .... will look again tomorrow .... sleep well

There is a xorg log in here too .... might be interesting to see it ....

/var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; December 1st, 2018 at 11:39 PM.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast