Thread: Trouble with installing Nvida 390 driver on Ubuntu 18.10

Beans

Re: Trouble with installing Nvida 390 driver on Ubuntu 18.10

I did everything again and had the nvidia driver showing as installed
    and then installed mate desktop
    and logged out of gnome
    and into mate desktop
    & then installed lightdm.

I then rebooted and check in recovery mode root terminal if the nviida driver was still there
    and it was.

So I carried on and rebooted only to be greeted with the usual black screen with little cursor flashing
    Sounds like the graphics driver failed as it should have gone into lightdm here ...........
    but if anyone knows of another reason it did not go in - please say ....... if any suspicion of something else ....

Normally its done by logging out and logging into Mate from the login screen but there is no way to do it from a terminal.
    $ startx mate

might have got you directly into mate ...... but if its the graphics driver then that also would fail ..... with a message though that might be useful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the only thread I can see where they might have had success .......

I am not saying to use it though as everything is in your own hands and responsibility for such an old driver .....

The discussion mentions all the problems and its only at the end they do come up with a solution - but its for a different card to yours ........... you takes your own risks with things
    like this ......... they mention security risks ....... but there may be others too ....... have a read - that is all I can say for this. There are 3 pages to the full link below .... for info only

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/nvid...4/16787?page=3
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; 4 Days Ago at 07:29 PM.

Beans

I did notice something in comon with me and that was they used the 304 driver which is the driver i was using when i got it working with the 9800GT. They also used the mate desktop again like me. I was using Xenial then but when I use 18.04 and the GTX480 i dont get given the option of using the 304 driver and only offerd 340, 348, & 390. The 304 driver does support the GTX480 as well so I reckon there is a much better chance it will work with the 304 driver if I could get it to show up in the driver manager. What do you think?
    User #386576 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The graphics drivers PPA has a build of 304. I think 340 would be a better bet, though, since it still supports both cards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    The graphics drivers PPA has a build of 304. I think 340 would be a better bet, though, since it still supports both cards.
    I am only going to use one of the cards, The GTX as its the newest and most powerful. Ive never had any driver after 304 working even with the 9800GT that worked in ubuntu for years before all this started a couple of years ago. I notice in that install 23dornot23d found they had to put the ubuntu version of libvdpau into the kernal. This was because they did a manual install from a terminal but if they had done it from ubuntu's own driver manager it would have done that automatically. What changes to the repos or exra repos do i need to add to get the 304 driver to show up in Ubuntu 18.04.
    Its a box we havent ticked yet either using the 304 driver and its easier to do it through ubuntus driver manager than do it manually and of course it can be undone & purged too if it doesnt work. If I do it manually myself and it doesn't work like I did recently there is no eay way to undo it and i ended up doing another re-install. What do you think??

Beans
    Distro

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa

Gives instructions on how to add the PPA. You can use ppa-purge to remove everything that you've installed from a particular PPA. No need to reinstall everything.

Use
    Code:
    sudo apt install nvidia-graphics-drivers-304
    to install the drivers rather than the graphical tool for the reasons I've already said.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are you sure the 304 driver is what you want.
    It really is only for much older cards.
    https://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    Sounds like the graphics driver failed as it should have gone into lightdm here ...........
    but if anyone knows of another reason it did not go in - please say ....... if any suspicion of something else ....

$ startx mate

might have got you directly into mate ...... but if its the graphics driver then that also would fail ..... with a message though that might be useful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the only thread I can see where they might have had success .......

I am not saying to use it though as everything is in your own hands and responsibility for such an old driver .....

The discussion mentions all the problems and its only at the end they do come up with a solution - but its for a different card to yours ........... you takes your own risks with things
    like this ......... they mention security risks ....... but there may be others too ....... have a read - that is all I can say for this. There are 3 pages to the full link below .... for info only

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/nvid...4/16787?page=3
    Well I had a good go at this and I ran into the exact same troubles the the article you found 23dornot23d with unmet dependencies problems for packages like "xorg-video-abi-11" so I will obviously have to follow that guide to get the 304 driver installed. That was very helpful and I learned why they had to do oit that way too.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Are you sure the 304 driver is what you want.
    It really is only for much older cards.
    https://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
    I really dont know oldfred but as nvidia dropped support for some older cards it makes sense to use a driver that we have had working along with others too and had had success with. If it dont work and even breaks my system again, whats another clean re-install for the ?????teenth time and if it gets results it will have all been worth it.
    Here goes let you know the results

Bit unsure what to do a this bit of the instructions:

# cat << END > /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist vga16fb
    blacklist rivafb
    blacklist nvidiafb
    blacklist rivatv
    blacklist amd76_edac
    options nouveau modeset=0
    END
    # update-initramfs -u
    # reboot
    I obviously execute sudo -i

Then I added each line one at a time into the file and then when finished type END to exit
    then executed from the command line:
    update-initramfs -u
    reboot

I get errors and the file /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf is empty.

Or was I supposed to enter the sudo -i
    then select everything as a block down to and including "reboot" and enter it at the command line as one long command. I tried this but also got errors.

either way I get errors. When I got the errors I googled the sudo -i command which made me realise I may have been meant to enter everything after it as one single command.

its not made obvious to someone not fluent in all linux command line conventions.
    Ive got the drive extracted into a and patched it but the "update-initramfs " option did something so I dont want to reboot in case its broke something so I am leaving my PC turned on at this point until someone responds.
    Last edited by howefield; 1 Day Ago at 02:32 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Distro

That command is to use cat to insert everything before the word END into that file, which is a very weird way of doing it.

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf
    would simply open the file in a text editor.

Edit: when the system is pulling itself up by its bootstraps (which is where the term booting comes from) it is not yet able to do anything complicated like run a complex program or traverse to arbitrary files. It needs everything it's able to use to be made available and simply organised in an Initial RAM FileSystem. That's what you're doing there.

I'm not sure why you're doing that, rather than letting the install scripts work, but that is what you're doing.
    Last edited by CatKiller; 3 Days Ago at 03:37 PM.

Beans

So i dont need the word END in the file and i execute those other 2 comands with a # in front from the command line after saving the file.
    Last edited by roadrash; 3 Days Ago at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    So i dont need the word END in the file and i execute those other 2 comands with a # in front from the command line after saving the file.
    That is correct.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast