Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble with installing Nvida 390 driver on Ubuntu 18.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Trouble with installing Nvida 390 driver on Ubuntu 18.10

You need to remove the nomodeset from boot in grub menu once nVidia driver is installed.
    The nomodeset often was required to get video with nVidia before driver was installed.

And this should show if installed into kernel.
    dkms status
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You need to remove the nomodeset from boot in grub menu once nVidia driver is installed.
    The nomodeset often was required to get video with nVidia before driver was installed.

And this should show if installed into kernel.
    dkms status
    After that message "configuring nvidia-dkms-390" during a check for updates and did not do, I shut the computer down. When I returned and booted it up it crashed again like before with the message "waiting for a process to end etc etc" and it was locked up. I had to reboot to a recovery terminal and do a purge nvidia* to get back again to a desktop. If I try to install the nvidia driver it doesn't kow show installed like it did that one time and is just as usual not booting past the "waiting etc etc" message. I have purged the nvidia driver again and have applied the Ubuntu system update now, seeing as its not going to break anything now and its back to where we have always been. I know what you say about the "nomodeset" setting and I usually have to put that into the boot parameters or my screen crashes like in the attached picture and I hear it booting but there is nothing I can see on the screen and cant find a way ouit of it until i press reset button. Your right that when the nvidia driver is installed, nomodeset is not needed but I am back with the nouveau driver again and when I did as you asked oldfred, it just crashed the display as it normally does without a nvidia driver installed.
    Here is trhe picture of the crashed screen I get when booting without nomodeset.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    User #386576 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Recovery mode boot has nomodeset built in. And then you can get terminal (with or without Internet) to repair or add drivers.
    Does this show nVidia fully installed?
    dkms status
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Recovery mode boot has nomodeset built in. And then you can get terminal (with or without Internet) to repair or add drivers.
    Does this show nVidia fully installed?
    dkms status
    Sorry no. for some reason I cant boot my pc without the nomodeset put into the startup. If its not there luke when I am using the live insall dvd I have to put it in. Its the same after I have installed ubuntu, I have to add it before every boot or my screen lockls like in that picture. Its always been a nuisance.

Is it possible to try one of the older nvidia drivers like I had to do in windows.
    Last edited by roadrash; December 4th, 2018 at 07:02 PM.

Beans

With nomodeset you'll never use the nvidia drivers. (and some other less than ideal like resolution..
    Typically some people have to initially enable it to boot, then they install the prop drivers, remove nomodeset if on the kernel command line and go on their merry way.

Does your computer have a setting in the bios/setup to disable integrated graphics ( iGPU) or to only use discrete graphics? If so disable it or set to only use discrete and then maybe you can boot with nvidia drivers without nomodeset.

Beans

My motherboard does not have onboard graphics.
    I only use nomodest when installing ubuntu.
    Once installed i dont use it.

I tried yesterday to get some of the older drivers from nvidia's site to install but they refused. I did also try installing their latest driver 390 using their install script but it too does the exact same as when its done through the repos and when rebooting after it installs it stops with that same message "waiting for a process to end" this follows messages about "failed to initialize nvidia module" or something similar.
    Anyway ive now done another clean install and done all updates so I now have a up to date fresh install again to use. Whatever is wrong is very difficult to find. Oldfred I think mentioned we might have to configure and compile our own kernel or somehting very involved like that. This is something I fancied trying sometime but is beyond at this time. Please can someone help me sort this, I really dont want to have to use windows on my desktop after all these years of using ubuntu.

May I again say how grateful I am to everyone who has contributed to helping me and surely we must find a answer soon. mc4man, catkiller, 23dornot23d and oldfred I owe you huge gratitude for your incredible patience right from the start with this. Fingers crossesd we will win in th end.

Another fresh start:
    My desktop as it is now has Ubuntu 18.04.1 installed
    All updates done
    nothing extra installed yet.

My opinion so far:
    The best results we had so far were when using lightdm and mate desktop. ( I was Using Ubuntu Mate or Mint Mate edition in the past too when i had the nvidia installed)
    I personally think we should be using the nvidia 304 driver as we have had it working this that one. Anything newer has failed.

We now have another clean slate to work with so would someone who has followed this make a suggestion as to what we do first. My direction would be to install lightdm & mate desktop as they have worked and then maybe use the nvidia 304 driver. But I am not going to lead on this as I am not the expert here so please tell me what your opinion is on this?
    Last edited by howefield; December 10th, 2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans

Searching the web for this gives nothing in my own search results. 304 driver gtx480 solved I have searched high and low for solutions to the gtx 480 and the last 2 links to it were not good.
    You posted this screen shot ........ early on in the thread ...... which was the only place I thought you had almost got there as it did say at the bottom of the screen shot that it was using the proprietory driver .... we found in the logs that it was not the case. ( if indeed the logs were correct ) something was not or it was being blacklisted for use after the reboot.

Maybe it was the screenshot - as the screenshot and remarks back are not as detailed as any logs are ) https://ubuntuforums.org/attachment....0&d=1543434818

I would like you to choose this again now that you do not have anything blacklisting the nvidia card ........ So you just basically choose the 340 driver ....... and see what happens. ...... this will then rule out that it was not being blacklisted. ( one more tick in a box to say that it was tested properly ) as it may have been blacklisted back then by another configuration file .......

Now it should not be blacklisted as you have done a totally fresh install again ........ Possibly the last chance at getting the card going .... unless anyone else has any other ideas - I am no expert on Ubuntu as such - because I use many Operating Systems and try to keep my own systems working .... which nowadays are nearly all without systemd and run on my laptops.

( so if you want to wait for more replies by people that are experts and use Desktop systems then please do so )

They may also know how to get the older driver working the 304 ..... but on windows I found this link also. https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windo...notes-whql.pdf We also still do not know which driver it was that you used to get it working in Windows 7 ..... maybe that was the last one that it ever did work properly with - who knows.

The very best of Luck .....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; December 5th, 2018 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Added the very best of Luck - because of trying so hard to get this working ........

Beans

The drivers it looks like it was the 340.52 - 64 bit driver I used in windows 7 but its showing in the settings its 342.## so it must have updated itself after install.

23dornot23d I thought you were an expert, you have been one of the most helpful and right from the start. You certainly learn't me a lot.
    I sat down earlier and read right through everything We & I have done making notes and we have pretty much covered all drivers Ubuntu offer and I even tried some from Nvidia themselves.

I have tried to replicate that time I got one of the drivers showing installed even though in reality it wasn't but cant seem to do it again. It got messed up when i accidentally launched the updater and it did some automatic re-configuring itself even though I never did the updates. The next time I booted it up the driver was gone.
    I can try using the 340 driver in Ubuntu on a clean install just to eliminate it but pretty sure it wont work. But to tick another box I will do it and let you know the result.

So no lightdm or mate then? Should I do a purge nvidia* first. Also do you want me to run a nvidia-xconfig from a terminal after installing it and should I do it before or after rebooting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think all the posts that 23dornot23d has given you should have worked.
    But installing incorrect driver then creates more issues.
    I would only install the one correct driver for whichever nVidia recommends for your card. And you have two cards that need different drivers.
    If you change drivers you must purge, or the nuclear option of a new clean install.
    And be sure to purge everything related to nVidia including bumblebee & xorg configuration files.
    Then check if nVidia fully installer with this, as it must be part of kernel.
    dkms status

Then you must not use nomodeset as that is telling system not to use any driver.

Beans

So no lightdm or mate then? Should I do a purge nvidia* first.
    Also do you want me to run a nvidia-xconfig from a terminal after installing it and should I do it before or after rebooting.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/attachment....0&d=1543434818

These are the commands I would like you to follow to check the 340 driver out again ...
    just check that no bbswitch has managed to get in there - then you can continue once sure of that.

dkms status

Should I do a purge nvidia* first.
    You can do that - ( if you think after doing the next things it will cause you problems if you do not )

It may be better to leave it though as you will then get in using nouveau ( possibly )

Looking at the background in the screenshot - you were using Mate .... so we shall install that.
    We will also load lightdm as that gets rid of the wayland problem.

sudo apt install lightdm

sudo apt install mate

reboot here .... you may still have to go in using the second menu option at boot ..... but hopefully not ........

Then go into mate and load/select the driver in additional drivers as before and post back a screenshot or let us know its the same as the one in this thread.

Then we will check some things out before we go any further - do not reboot and do not purge anything ...... at this point ....

possibly - we will be able to check the systemd journalctl here and see if it has installed or what it is actually using at this point.

Anybody watching - that sees any problems with any of the above - please speak out now ..... thank you.

I have just realized that the time is late now - so if you want to do this tomorrow - let us know and I will try to get
    on at a time when you are on tomorrow ..... because ..... we do not want to reboot till we know a few things about what is
    actually happening and it may be in the logs and easy to post back while you have a screen up and running.
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; December 5th, 2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: added the purge if roadrash thinks he will not get back in after loading mate and lightdm up

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast