Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Trouble with installing Nvida 390 driver on Ubuntu 18.10

Beans

Re: Trouble with installing Nvida 390 driver on Ubuntu 18.10

Dont now whether to be happy or sad. I forgot how tedious it was installing windows. Tried windows 10 and it crashed with a error right at the ned and after a long time installiong "windows cant be installed on this system". So tried windows 7, it installed but i downloaded recent driver for GTX480 and when it restarted after installing I lost the screen display and the monitor went into standby. I fitted in the 9800GT and got a dispay back and uninstalled everything. I then refitted the GTX480 and this time found the oldest driver I could find for the GTX480 (rumours of newer drivers not working) I installled it and rebooted again and its all working perfectly playing Hi-def movies everything. So sorry to say its ubuntu or more likely the current Nvidia driver thats at fault. Is there a source of old versions of the Linux nvidia driver as a .deb file anywhere we can try.
    here is proof of it working with the driver in widows.

at least I know the card is all working OK. By the way I didnt install bumblebee unless it installed somehow with the Nvidia driver.
    Know what do we do?????? a hell of a lot of work but finally we know the problem is a system or driver issue and not a hardware one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    User #386576 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Beans

Ok that is brilliant - like you say a lot of work ..... but at least you proved the graphics card is ok ............ and it does need older drivers ......

at least I know the card is all working OK. By the way I didnt install bumblebee unless it installed somehow with the Nvidia driver.

Now what do we do?????? a hell of a lot of work but finally we know the problem is a system or driver issue and not a hardware one.
    Is there a source of old versions of the Linux nvidia driver as a .deb file anywhere we can try.
    Old Fred may know how to get the correct driver ..... hopefully ....... he seems to have notes on when things changed .....

I then refitted the GTX480 and this time found the oldest driver I could find for the GTX480 (rumours of newer drivers not working)
    I installled it and rebooted again and its all working perfectly playing Hi-def movies everything.
    Me I just use what is available usually and do not go hunting around too much as I never quite know what the ones from other sites will do
    and if I can trust them ............ there was some on the Nvidia site itself .... but which one to use ..... or whether things may need altering
    or not for the latest Ubuntu I do not know ............

Is your windows a 32bit or 64bit install ........... ?
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; December 2nd, 2018 at 10:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    To get a readable inxi you need another parameter.

Need -c 0 on redirect to eliminate extra ASCII chars.
    inxi -Fxz -c 0 > inxi_list.txt
    Sorry abaout that I will remeber in future.

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Code:
    bbswitch, 0.8, 4.4.0-53-generic, x86_64: installed
    You've still got Bumblebee there. You really don't want to have Bumblebee.

Use CODE tags for output: quote tags make the text disappear if someone tries to reply to you.
    I dont know how bumbleee got there unless it somehow installed with the nvidia drive when I had to keep installing then puging it go post back here sometimes because with the driver installed I have no display.

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Code:
    bbswitch, 0.8, 4.4.0-53-generic, x86_64: installed
    You've still got Bumblebee there. You really don't want to have Bumblebee.

Use CODE tags for output: quote tags make the text disappear if someone tries to reply to you.
    I dont know how that happened unless it was installed someow with the nviidia driver. I had to sometimes install the driver, save a copy of te logs and then purge the driver oro get a display to post them up here. \i gety no screen display with the driver installed. How do I use tyhe code tags you mention?

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    I think he is using something older now OldFred looking at the kernel in the journal file

vmlinuz-4.4.0-53-generic

Quite possible that its the Xenial install that was being used 16.04 for the last set of information .....

@roadrash .....

1 ) Did you use 16.04 ( xenial ) with the card that works ok the 9800 GTX ......

Then when you found it was working ok - did you leave that same system in place and just swapped the card over
    to the GTX 480 ..... and found it would not work .......

or did you do a fresh install of linux again ....

Yes I did use a Xenial install
    Last edited by howefield; December 3rd, 2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans

Did you see post #99 ...... mainly to say - I am not sure about a .deb file for the driver ....... but Old Fred might know .......

Was the windows 7 install a 32 bit or 64bit system .... ?
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; December 2nd, 2018 at 10:52 PM.

Beans

Ok that is brilliant - like you say a lot of work ..... but at least you proved the graphics card is ok ............ and it does need older drivers ......

Old Fred may know how to get the correct driver ..... hopefully ....... he seems to have notes on when things changed .....

Me I just use what is available usually and do not go hunting around too much as I never quite know what the ones from other sites will do
    and if I can trust them ............ there was some on the Nvidia site itself .... but which one to use ..... or whether things may need altering
    or not for the latest Ubuntu I do not know ............

Is your windows a 32bit or 64bit install ........... ?
    The drivers on the nvidia site don't go back far enough now to get around the problems they had at one time with more up to date drivers so I found this site that has a archive of all drivers releases and found one of the first they released for thet card. I am not worried about security at the moment because i am using a temp install of winows 7 on the desktop we are trying to sort and if it gets messed up well it dont matter cos I am going to delete windows very soon and go back to ubuntu. With a working Nvidia driver install I hope.

Its a 64bit version windows 7 install and a 64 bit nvidia driver I used.

Beans

I found this site that has a archive of all drivers releases and found one of the first they released for thet card.
    Do you have the link for it and the name of the file you downloaded ......... might help trace it - that's all.

Ok thanks for that - all 64bit - was just for information while you have it up and running ..........

For the code tags that CatKiller mentioned - all you have to do is use QUOTE ....... tags - but replace the word QUOTE for code in both but leave the / backslash in the second one
    instances in the square brackets .......... cannot show you as the editor will automagically change them .........

I am going to delete windows very soon and go back to ubuntu. With a working Nvidia driver install I hope.
    I hope so too ..... but if you have the version of the driver you used - we may be able to track something down between us ........ just a thought
    more hands to the job the better so to say.
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; December 2nd, 2018 at 11:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The ppa has old drivers as well as newest ones, by Ubuntu version.
    https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa
    But you should only be installing the correct driver for your card.

You can look up what is correct driver, and then down load that using ppa. I do not think the 304.xx is correct for either of your cards.
    Updated driver search by nVidia model, do not download, just check correct driver version
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers

# this is the defaults included in the Ubuntu version.
    # Shows standard repository versions, which is the same as
    System Settings, Software & Updates icon, Additional drivers tab
    With 18.04, the only way I can get to this now is with Software Updater & Settings.
    ubuntu-drivers devices

# make sure system is up to date
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    # should show newest versions available in addition to defaults
    ubuntu-drivers devices
    You then can manually choose any in list.
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-XXX

# to uninstall ppa later if you do not want it, do not run now
    sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

The purge instructions I have seen before also remove bumblebee if it is there.
    If you have installed any version, you must purge first, old will conflict with new as new install does not overwrite old version.
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia* bumblebee primus bbswitch-dkms
    This xorg file may not exist, so if error that would be ok
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

sudo service lightdm stop
    Last edited by oldfred; December 3rd, 2018 at 12:18 AM.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

If inclined to try again at some point -
    For starters try Ubuntu 18.04 (not mint...
    Do not install bumblebee
    Try the default repo package, i.e nvidia-driver-390

Looking at all your inxi & xorg.0 logs not once was the nvidia driver in use, not on 18.04 nor 18.10 (installed but not in use.
    If posting any inxi command just use this for relevant, uncluttered info, put in a code box, not quote box
    (-try to do from desktop instead of tty though I guess shouldn't matter much.. Some of your inxi's where from tty, some from desktop.
    Code:
    inxi -SG
    Ex. here, have a m gpu so nvidia is 2nd device, blue line is what matters.. the line below that semi matters,
    Code:
    $ inxi -SG
    System:
      Host: doug-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y510P Kernel: 4.15.0-39-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
      Desktop: Gnome Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS 
    Graphics:
      Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 
      v: kernel 
      Card-2: NVIDIA GK107M [GeForce GT 755M] driver: nvidia v: 410.73 
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting,nvidia 
      unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 755M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 410.73
    Last edited by mc4man; December 3rd, 2018 at 02:43 AM.

Beans

Do you have the link for it and the name of the file you downloaded ......... might help trace it - that's all.

Ok thanks for that - all 64bit - was just for information while you have it up and running ..........

For the code tags that CatKiller mentioned - all you have to do is use QUOTE ....... tags - but replace the word QUOTE for code in both but leave the / backslash in the second one
    instances in the square brackets .......... cannot show you as the editor will automagically change them .........

I hope so too ..... but if you have the version of the driver you used - we may be able to track something down between us ........ just a thought
    more hands to the job the better so to say.
    The site with all the old grapgics drivers is: https://www.guru3d.com/
    The driver I used was 197.75 from 18th May 2010.

Thanks for that info on the drivers oldfred thats very useful.

Ok I am ready for a fresh start now we know the graphics card ik OK. So I have now put on a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS on the compter and done all updates.

Normaly now I would usually start by:

1) install lightdm and make it default
    2) install Mate desktop, log out and back into Mate desktop.
    3) in terminal, purge nvida.
    4) open drivers and install driver of choice and reboot
    5) in recovery root terminal do "nvidia-xconfig" +reboot

Can you converse with each other and come up with a list of steps you want me to take this time and I will get to work on it.
    Cheers everyone and fingers crossed.
    Last edited by howefield; December 7th, 2018 at 01:53 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

We're trying to eliminate variables, so I wouldn't do the first two, and I wouldn't do the last one.

What I would do is add the graphics drivers PPA and install nvidia-graphics-drivers-340, since that is the most recent that supports your graphics cards, IIRC. Keep an eye on whether Bumblebee gets pulled in as a recommendation, and remove if it does.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast