Thread: Attempting to boot from hard drive

Beans

Attempting to boot from hard drive

My Ubuntu Server 16.04 died. I bought a refurb HP EliteDesk and installed 16.04 server again, overwriting the Win 10 that came installed and using the entire SATA hard drive. According to the installation, it installed successfully. Unfortunately, after reboot, it says ‘attempting to boot from hard drive’, but never does. I fiddled with the setup, tried disabling UEFI or Legacy, to no avail.
    Any suggestions out there?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Attempting to boot from hard drive

Hi,

This might be firmware/driver issue, so please check if the hardware you bought is certified for Ubuntu. HP has a long range of hardware and all of it is not compatible with all the variants of Linux and in some cases Windows compatible only. Please provide the model number and hardware details.

Regards,
    Mitesh

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This only runs from the desktop or live installer.
    May be best to see details, use ppa version with your live installer or any working install, not older Boot-Repair ISO:
    Please attach link to the summary report, the auto fix sometimes can create more issues.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

You can run this script with terminal & post its output to pastebin site. It is part of Boot-Repair's report, but Boot-Repair shows a lot more info.
    Updated fork as original bootinfoscript does not seem to be maintained
    https://github.com/arvidjaar/bootinfoscript
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I resolved the issue by just installing 18.04 LTS instead. It installed with no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chunkydrew2 View Post
    I resolved the issue by just installing 18.04 LTS instead. It installed with no problems.
    Hi,

May you provide the server details and the log files from boot. I will help the developers/troubleshooters to understand what might have prevented 16.04 to boot.
    Learning...... Little odd way for here, read as much as you can before trying anything....
    and get confused enough to forget the actual task.........