Thread: x11vnc on Lubuntu 18.10?

Beans

x11vnc on Lubuntu 18.10?

Hey,
    I've noticed that Lubuntu now used Lxqt instead of Lxde. I was wondering how to go about to autostart x11vnc in lxqt?
    Any help would be very helpful.
    Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: x11vnc on Lubuntu 18.10?

Will this work:
    To have X applications start on login, click the main menu from the LXQt > Preferences > LXQt Settings > Session Settings. Alternatively, this can be launched with:

Code:
    lxqt-config-session
    From this window, click on AutoStart on the left side. Here you can add a new application to either the global autostart (launched in all sessions implementing the XDG Autostart specification) or your local autostart (labled LXQt Autostart) (See issue 746 for a bug related to this option). For each item you add, lxqt-config-session will create a Desktop entry (.desktop file) in the appropriate XDG Autostart directory.

The distinction between "Global Autostart" and "LXQt Autostart" does not depend on the directory in which the corresponding .desktop file is located, but rather on the OnlyShowIn setting. If it is OnlyShowIn=true, it is considered an "LXQt Autostart". Furthermore, if X-LXQt-Module=true, the item is not shown in lxqt-config-session.
    This is taken from the Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LXQt#Autostart

This site may be helpful also: http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=10426
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Will this work:
    To have X applications start on login, click the main menu from the LXQt > Preferences > LXQt Settings > Session Settings. Alternatively, this can be launched with:

Code:
    lxqt-config-session
    From this window, click on AutoStart on the left side. Here you can add a new application to either the global autostart (launched in all sessions implementing the XDG Autostart specification) or your local autostart (labled LXQt Autostart) (See issue 746 for a bug related to this option). For each item you add, lxqt-config-session will create a Desktop entry (.desktop file) in the appropriate XDG Autostart directory.

The distinction between "Global Autostart" and "LXQt Autostart" does not depend on the directory in which the corresponding .desktop file is located, but rather on the OnlyShowIn setting. If it is OnlyShowIn=true, it is considered an "LXQt Autostart". Furthermore, if X-LXQt-Module=true, the item is not shown in lxqt-config-session.
    This is taken from the Arch Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LXQt#Autostart

This site may be helpful also: http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=10426
    Thank you so much 1fallen! Will try asap

Beans

So, I've tried to add:
    sudo x11vnc -auth /run/user/1000/gdm/Xauthority -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc-passwd -rfbport 5900 -shared
    And with -auth guess.
    In both local and global autostart. It seems to be running, but I can't connect.
    The password file has right permissions.
    Any ideas?

Edit:
    I just realized that I might have messed something up when trying to get it going the first time around. Will reset everything tomorrow and try from scratch.
    Last edited by Alexander_Lilljebj; November 9th, 2018 at 07:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Try without "sudo" putting a sudo command in an autostart script (which is not connected to the terminal) you are guaranteed to fail.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Try without "sudo" putting a sudo command in an autostart script (which is not connected to the terminal) you are guaranteed to fail.
    Thanks again!
    As quite apparent I'm not very familiar with linux(yet).

Beans

I am using this and it works

sudo systemctl daemon-reload &&
    sudo systemctl start x11vnc &&
    sudo systemctl enable x11vn

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mixtutor View Post
    I am using this and it works

sudo systemctl daemon-reload &&
    sudo systemctl start x11vnc &&
    sudo systemctl enable x11vn
    Thanks mix! I will try that as well.

Edit:
    It just says service not found.

Edit2:
    Made a service, ran your commands. Still not working.
    Last edited by Alexander_Lilljebj; November 10th, 2018 at 12:37 PM.

Beans

Alright, at last!
    Did like 1fallen suggested. The problem was that I was placing the password in /etc/x11vnc.pass with sudo.
    When placing it without sudo in home folder it work. Silly me...