Thread: middle-click drag and drop shortcut menu not there

Beans

Question middle-click drag and drop shortcut menu not there

I just upgraded to Ubuntu Mate 18.04 64bit. I noticed the middle-click drag and drop menu doesn't exist anymore so I was wondering how to get it back. On Ubuntu Mate 16.04, I could middle-click on a file, drag the file to a folder, and when I released the middle mouse button I would get a menu for copying or moving the file. Now, the file just drops where I put it. No other mouse buttons seem to work this way. I'm resorting to right-clicking on the file to copy or move a file and right-clicking again on the destination folder to paste it. That's an extra step that I didn't have to do before. Right-click pasting is turned on in the settings, but I don't know if that is the setting that makes the middle-click menu appear. So, I don't know what is going on with that. Was this feature removed or something? I don't get why it would be removed. Unless, Ubuntu miss assigned my scroll wheel button as a left-click button? It should act as a middle-click button.

Beans

Re: middle-click drag and drop shortcut menu not there

I just looked in dconf Editor. Under org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse there is no middle-click entry to turn middle-click pasting on. Is there a way to add one, or is there a bad install that I need to reinstall?

Beans

I don't suppose I could just write a script that would activate a copy/paste/move/link menu when I move something with the middle mouse button, could I?

Beans

Hi Robert! This is not only MATE problem. This is problem Ubuntu 18.04. I think we need create bug-report on launchpad