Thread: 2am download every night?

Beans

2am download every night?

Hi I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS server, with various things such as TS3, Rtorrent,Plex, and quake 3. I have VNstat php installed so I can look a the bandwith usage daily, and compare to my provider to make sure I don't exceed a 1TB cap (this has happened once already). When viewing the hourly logs of VNstat, I noticed that every single night there is a dowload between 200 and 500 Megs. It's a relatively small amount, but there is no explanation on why I would be receiving data exactly at this time every night. Outgoing is virtually zero most days, even with rtorrent.

How would I determine who/what is downloading this data? Does Ubuntu go out and check for updates once a day?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: 2am download every night?

Moved to Server Platforms.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

If this "unattended-upgrades" is installed then yes.
    More info found here: https://libre-software.net/ubuntu-automatic-updates/
    I think the program Nethogs perfectly suits your requirements for seeing what and who is downloading.
    Also more here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/7069...a-and-how-much

Others here may have other suggestions.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

I looked at /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades and saw this below:

Code:
    APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";
    So then that would explain the small amount of incoming data I see every night. I've been playing with nethogs while doing some streaming. definitely helps, but there's no way I'd be at the computer at 2am to see who is downloading at that moment. Still, good info.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by b3nst3r; November 8th, 2018 at 12:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can setup a cron job to capture the data at 2am. Automation is a wonderful thing on computers. It is a key reason that I prefer Unix systems over other alternatives. I have computers doing things all the time for my convenience later.