Thread: Network switching

Beans

Question Network switching

Is there a way to switch between Wireless and Wired connections without switching either of the connections off when both are connected?

I am using 18.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Network switching

Hi,

Is there a way to switch between Wireless and Wired connections without switching either of the connections off when both are connected?
    You can use the metric or flags for this purpose.

Code:
    ~$ route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    600    0        0 wlp2s0b1
    link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 wlp2s0b1
    192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     600    0        0 wlp2s0b1
    if you have more than one interface connected to the network they will show up in here.

Another way is to use a firewall, GUFW provides a GUI interface.
    Code:
    $ sudo apt install gufw
    Regards,
    Mitesh

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless for a better fit

Beans

Haven't really done it before, but if the system is not a router I'd try to delete the default route and add a different one.

That said, you'll likely have static routes defined on both interfaces, assuming there are other networks attached to each.

In my understanding normally you wouldn't mess with it. The networking stack should get the "cost" of sending packets to a certain address and then choose the best route each time.

Beans

I think 1clue is right. Changing your default route is probably what you are looking for. Either delete one of your existing default routes (you probably already have one for each interface).
    Better still, just add a new default route with a lower metric (lower metric = more preferred) than the existing routes e.g.:
    Code:
    sudo ip route add default via 192.168.0.254 dev wlp2s0  proto static  metric 10