Thread: Difficulty getting Steam game to run

Beans

Difficulty getting Steam game to run

Lili: Child of Geos something- my daughter requested it.

Host system i7 16GB with Ubuntu 16.04

Bought game on Steam.

I've tried 3 approaches so far, no luck:

1. Installed Windows 7 in virtualbox AM. Installed Steam and the game. Got stuck at an error about my video card not supporting alpha blending.
    rendering.png

2. Installed Steam via Wine and installed Lili there, get an error in GameMaze-Win32-Shipping.exe. I do get Subnautica to run this way.
    wines.png

3. Installed SteamOS in a VM using virtualbox, but get a "something went wrong, log out" screen.

wrong.png

How might I get one of these to work, and what other configurations are there to try? Thanks

p.s. Didn't seem to be either Wine or virtualization topics, and the game forum hasn't had a post in 4 days, so apologies if I missed finding a better sub forum.

Beans

Re: Difficulty getting Steam game to run

Thread moved to the "Gaming & Leisure" forum.

Beans

Just out of curiosity have you not considered using Steam Play? If its not yet enabled for the required game go to steam in the menu then settings, under Steam Play go to and click yes for "Enable Steam Play for All titles" and if you want click and activate the following option "Use this tool instead of game-specific selections from steam" this should after steam being logged out and logged back aka restarted the game should be enabled then for Ubuntu. Note that with those options being enabled you'll have games that aren't properly tested yet for Steam Play but its worth a try rather than loading it through a virtualbox which I know isn't great for gaming since it doesn't properly use the graphics card that well.

Beans

1. I never heard of Steam Play before.

2. When I tried it, it doesn't show up in my menu. BTW I read you have to opt into a beta program from the Account page, but it didn't work for me.

Ideas for getting the Steam Play option to show up?

steam.png
    Last edited by James_Creasy; November 6th, 2018 at 07:36 PM.

Beans

Update: I completely purged Steam and reinstalled. Now I see the Steam Play option.

Update2: No luck. I get a window saying "Preparing to launch", it disappears and nothing else.
    Last edited by James_Creasy; November 6th, 2018 at 07:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I have gotten a number of my old Windows games running from perfectly to fine with no sound. A number I have tried won't run at all, as has happened to you. It's a bit of a crapshoot for now, I'm afraid. It will improve, I have no doubt that it will; there are some big minds working for Stream.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819