Thread: Monitor shuts off when trying to install Ubuntu or Mint

Beans

Monitor shuts off when trying to install Ubuntu or Mint

I've been trying to install either Ubuntu or Mint on my PC but whenever I boot from my pendrive and click on "Install Ubuntu" the screen goes black and never comes back... I know that the install menu is open because when I pressed some keys (think it was F6 that triggered it) I heard a sound coming trough my headphones. Also mouse and keyboard were lit up which means they were connected.

My PC has 16GB of ram, ryzen 5 1600 and a r9 380 2g and i'm using a DVI to VGA adapter on my graphics card because my monitor uses VGA and the r9 380 doesn't have a VGA output.

I don't think there is a problem with the pen drive, I've used the same that I used to install Ubuntu on my Laptop and it worked fine there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Monitor shuts off when trying to install Ubuntu or Mint

What version are you trying to install?

Beans

Tried both 18.04 and 18.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to General Help, as we are now doing Disco (19.04) testing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by besta86gumball View Post
    I've been trying to install either Ubuntu or Mint on my PC but whenever I boot from my pendrive and click on "Install Ubuntu" the screen goes black and never comes back... I know that the install menu is open because when I pressed some keys (think it was F6 that triggered it) I heard a sound coming trough my headphones. Also mouse and keyboard were lit up which means they were connected.

My PC has 16GB of ram, ryzen 5 1600 and a r9 380 2g and i'm using a DVI to VGA adapter on my graphics card because my monitor uses VGA and the r9 380 doesn't have a VGA output.

I don't think there is a problem with the pen drive, I've used the same that I used to install Ubuntu on my Laptop and it worked fine there.
    Have you tried following this?
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1620...have-to-fix-it

Esp, under 'nomodeset acpi=off nolapic' section.