Thread: Chkrootkit and tcpd

Beans

Chkrootkit and tcpd

After a security breach and hack into Bionic desktop, secure erase the SSD with hdparm and re-installed minimal Bionic, UFW rules and others.

Running chkrootkit, I get tcpd INFECTED.
    Code:
    sudo chkrootkit
    Code:
    Checking `syslogd'...                             not tested
    Checking `tar'...                                           not infected
    Checking `tcpd'...                                            INFECTED
    Checking `tcpdump'...                                   not infected
    Checking `top'...                                           not infected
    and....

Code:
    Searching for suspicious files and dirs, it may take a while... The following suspicious files and directories were found:  
    /usr/lib/debug/.build-id /lib/modules/4.15.0-20-generic/vdso/.build-id /lib/modules/4.15.0-38-generic/vdso/.build-id
    /usr/lib/debug/.build-id /lib/modules/4.15.0-20-generic/vdso/.build-id /lib/modules/4.15.0-38-generic/vdso/.build-id
    Google investigation shows this "could" be a false positive. However......

Code:
    $ dpkg -S /usr/sbin/tcpd
    dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/sbin/tcpd
    a manual search finds tcpdump file which cannot be opened.
    "Could not display "tcpdump". There is no application installed for "shared library" files.
    A further search does not reveal
    I'm trying to verify if these are false positives or to compare the checksum.

Can anyone assist with this dilemma?
    Last edited by deadflowr; November 4th, 2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: fixed broken code tag

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Chkrootkit and tcpd

tcpd is part of the tcp-wrappers tool. It has nothing to do with tcpdump.
    Everytime I've hunted down any root-kit-searching warning, it has always been a false positive to the point that I've removed the 2 tools.

Beans

Thanks for that, Fu.

I've read others posts and come away believing that it's a false positive, HOWEVER, I'm a bit overly paranoid with a recent hack attack on this machine. Perplexing even more, is a lack of directory or file along the stated path, yet, it reads INFECTED.

Could this be a warning of an infected wlan card???

The question might evoke giggles from the pros, of which I am not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by peacefull View Post
    Could this be a warning of an infected wlan card???
    Not if it isn't a govt after you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Not if it isn't a govt after you.
    Realistic scenario....
    The psycho in question has mega bucks and is Machiavellian deceitful. She could easily hire a former military/cop/govment snoop to do the dirty work for her. They would have resources and ability to breach a pc.

I absolutely hate having to imagine this. Paranoid, yes...but for a very good reason.

I have another wlan that was bought for a hackintosh conversion (which hasn't been done yet). Supposing I swap out the wlan card, wouldn't the swap eliminate 1 such possibility of spyeware?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You should buy a chromebook, run chromeOS and never use any other computing device on any network.

Infecting firmware requires expertise in that specific firmware and physical access to it. That is why I said a govt would need to be involved. It isn't a 1-man job. I'm pretty paranoid, but I only worry about the physical hardware being modified during travel. There are much easier ways to attack a computer system than modifying firmware for addon devices.

I suspect Apple is taking steps to prevent any of their OSes from running on non-Apple hardware in the future. There was a story about that yesterday confirming that Apple is adding T2 chips for security to some of their new computers.