Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 18.0.4 and Xfinity TV / Stream and DRM Flash

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 18.0.4 and Xfinity TV / Stream and DRM Flash

Is there any reason you need FF ESR? It works for Firefox 60+ last I checked. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2363550&page=2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Is there any reason you need FF ESR? It works for Firefox 60+ last I checked. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2363550&page=2

Honestly I don't know what I need. I am just following the steps in the guide that was posted. The post in the link that you provided is talking about getting flash to work. That is not really what I am trying to achieve. I just want to find an easy way to install and run Showbox as well as have access to the Google Playstore. If you know of an easier way for me to achieve this please let me know.

Beans

Question ... I did the linux_recovery.sh script to retrieve the chromeos_10895.78.0_zako_recovery_stable-channel_mp-v3.bin.zip file, and unzip the chromeos_10895.78.0_zako_recovery_stable-channel_mp-v3.bin and placed on a USB thumbdrive, from that thumbdrive, I'm trying to mount ROOT-A but I can't ... closest I've gotten is below. Does anyone have specific instructions on mounting it so I can copy the DRM version of Flash? This is on Debian Stretch. I can clearly see on my desktop from the USB stick the directories "OEM", "10 MB Volume", and "ROOT-A". Thanks!

root@debian:/media/myusername/35673072-f004-4afa-801f-e7a968eda942# pwd
    /media/myusername/35673072-f004-4afa-801f-e7a968eda942
    root@debian:/media/myusername/35673072-f004-4afa-801f-e7a968eda942# ls
    lost+found unencrypted vmlinuz_hd.vblock
    root@debian:/media/myusername/35673072-f004-4afa-801f-e7a968eda942# kpartx -a vmlinuz_hd.vblock
    root@debian:/media/myusername/35673072-f004-4afa-801f-e7a968eda942# kpartx -l vmlinuz_hd.vblock
    loop0p1 : 0 125 /dev/loop0 3
    root@debian:/media/myusername/35673072-f004-4afa-801f-e7a968eda942# mount -ro loop /dev/loop0 /mnt/img1
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so.
    root@debian:/media/myusername/35673072-f004-4afa-801f-e7a968eda942#

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by donkramer View Post
    Question ... I did the linux_recovery.sh script to retrieve the chromeos_10895.78.0_zako_recovery_stable-channel_mp-v3.bin.zip file, and unzip the chromeos_10895.78.0_zako_recovery_stable-channel_mp-v3.bin and placed on a USB thumbdrive, from that thumbdrive, I'm trying to mount ROOT-A but I can't ... closest I've gotten is below. Does anyone have specific instructions on mounting it so I can copy the DRM version of Flash?
    It is confusing because the method is spread out over several threads now.

To extract libpepflashplayer.so, you need to follow this thread.

Basically:

install kpartx, it will be needed to mount the chromeos image later

Code:
    sudo apt install kpartx
    To mount the recovery image

Code:
    sudo kpartx -av /path/to/bin/file
    It will print out a lot of partitions like

Code:
    add map loop7p1 (253:0): 0 28672 linear 7:7 2928640
    add map loop7p2 (253:1): 0 32768 linear 7:7 20480
    add map loop7p3 (253:2): 0 2641920 linear 7:7 286720
    add map loop7p4 (253:3): 0 32768 linear 7:7 53248
    add map loop7p5 (253:4): 0 4096 linear 7:7 282624
    add map loop7p6 (253:5): 0 1 linear 7:7 16448
    add map loop7p7 (253:6): 0 1 linear 7:7 16449
    add map loop7p8 (253:7): 0 32768 linear 7:7 86016
    add map loop7p9 (253:8): 0 1 linear 7:7 16450
    add map loop7p10 (253:9): 0 1 linear 7:7 16451
    add map loop7p11 (253:10): 0 16384 linear 7:7 64
    add map loop7p12 (253:11): 0 32768 linear 7:7 249856
    You need the third one (corresponds to "ROOT" shown in file manager
    To mount it (it doesn't open in file manager)

create a directory in your home to mount the image

Code:
    mkdir mnt
    mount the image to mnt
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ext2 /dev/mapper/loop7p3 -o ro  ~/mnt

navigate to mnt, now you will see the content of the partition you just mounted

inside mnt, navigate to /opt/google/chrome/pepper/, libpepflashplayer.so is the flash that you need. Create a folder in your home called PepperFlash (say) then copy libpepflashplayer.so there

to unmount

Code:
    sudo umount ~/mnt
    and

Code:
    sudo kpartx -dv /path/to/bin/file

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pvanryn View Post
    Thanks so much for posting this. I tried two or three times using similar methods, but this is the first one that worked.

And the performance is awesome - no lag at all - as good as native Windows streaming. Much better than Wine. Hopefully Comcast won't break it.

Try it with Pale Moon and the Eclipsed Moon add-on user agent switcher/changer/randomizer. Old firefox code-base (which Pale Moon was built-up from) so it runs really zippy. Works fine with this (chromOS) version of libpepflashplayer.so.

On slightly unrelated note, should also work on other flavors of linux like Mint and Debian 9 Stretch (https://wiki.debian.org/PepperFlashPlayer/Installing); however, you will need to download the .deb separately, as it's not included in Stretch repos (1.8.3+nmu1 as of today).
    Last edited by l33ch; December 6th, 2018 at 10:42 PM.

Beans

Not really. You can use ESR. Firefox48-50.x,etc (seems to run faster than quantum) , Firefox 60.x. Runs great on Pale Moon. When I did this, I wanted anything that could potentially conflict, out of the way (hence, removing pre-installed firefox browsers, etc) before doing the steps. But no, you should not have to remove the browser before-hand. I was working with multiple versions/profiles of firefox. I wanted one JUST for xfinity. And another for regular browsing (but also works for xfinity). Firefox 48 runs faster than Firefox 50x-60/Quantum. Pale Moon seems to run as fast or faster than Firefox48. I average about 8-13% CPU utilization when watching the Xfinity DRM content. Definitely way way way less than Windows (40-60% or so). I'm a happy camper. Make sure to back up your system once you get this set up the way you want it, so you don't have to do it again, hahah.

* Note, if you are running multiple versions of Firefox, make sure to use to use the " -p " switch so that your profile(s) don't get overwritten. If only using one version of Firefox, you're fine.

If you would like to run multiple profiles of Firefox at once, also use the " -no-remote " flag. I set up all my Firefox to execute via: " Firefox-esr (or firefox) -p *ProfileName -no-remote ".

For example, if the profile folder was named '897g87.Firefox' or '48098f0.default' or whatever, you would enter the command:

Code:
    firefox -p 897g87.Firefox -no-remote
    All versions of firefox put their profiles in ~/home/username/.mozilla/firefox/, so without those switch(s), and if you only have 1 profile in there, you will go back and forth between firefox versions but using the same profile (so your bookmarks, etc will go bye bye)., so to avoid that:

Code:
     firefox -p profilename -no-remote
    The ' -p ' switch loads the profile. The ' -no-remote ' switch allows you to run multiple profiles at one. Running just 'firefox -p' will bring up the profile selection/rename/delete screen.
    Last edited by l33ch; December 6th, 2018 at 11:18 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by l33ch View Post
    Try it with Pale Moon and the Eclipsed Moon add-on user agent switcher/changer/randomizer. Old firefox code-base (which Pale Moon was built-up from) so it runs really zippy. Works fine with this (chromOS) version of libpepflashplayer.so.

On slightly unrelated note, should also work on other flavors of linux like Mint and Debian 9 Stretch (https://wiki.debian.org/PepperFlashPlayer/Installing); however, you will need to download the .deb separately, as it's not included in Stretch (1.8.3+nmu1 as of today).
    Pale Moon works really well, but I don't have any on-screen controls when I use it. Does this happen to you? Any fix? I can live with it, but it is inconvenient for channel surfing. Controls appear for just a moment when the video starts, but after that they are inaccessible and I have to use the browser "back" button which takes me back to the login screen.

With the .deb package, do you still do
    Code:
    apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash
    or do you install the .deb only?

Beans

Pale Moon works really well, but I don't have any on-screen controls when I use it. Does this happen to you? Any fix? I can live with it, but it is inconvenient for channel surfing. Controls appear for just a moment when the video starts, but after that they are inaccessible and I have to use the browser "back" button which takes me back to the login screen.

With the .deb package, do you still do
    Code:
    apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash
    or do you install the .deb only?
    Under Ubuntu Studio those 2 commands installed the wrapper ' browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash' and Adobe's regular DRM-Free Flash, 'pepperflashplugin-nonfree' from their site. However, under Debian, I could not install ' pepperflashplugin-nonfree ' as it was not included in Debian 9 Stretch repos but is avail from Buster..didn't seem to break any dependencies. After installing that .deb, I just did 'sudo apt-get install browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash', which was available via the regular apt-get install method. So in Debian 9, they kept browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash, but you need to get the .deb for pepperflashplugin-nonfree. Of course under Ubuntu, you can get/install both via apt-get.

Yes! I have the same exact issue! Unless I'm running the newest/recent version of firefox, I do not get the settings/pause, mini player , etc. options that normally should be there. Newest version of firefox, it's there. I have no idea why, it is kinda annoying, if I want to change quality settings from High to Low or vice-versa. As you found out, sometimes at the beginning of the stream, OR, at the start of advertisements, you can sometimes access those settings and it appears that they work vs trying to right click on the "stock" quality settings, which seem to have no effect. If you find out anything that could shed some light and possible solutions I would be most appreciated--but I can live with it. Could be some weird compatibility since technically that flash file is from a chromeOS build, I dunno.

Edit: So, I did some playing around. It seems that if you run a firefox base version of 52 or higher (firefox 52, waterfox 52, in my case) you will get the Xfinity Stream controls. If you run an older base version like Pale Moon, or Firefox 48, those options will not be available. For some reason, I cannot run the newest firefox versions and watch xfinity, my tab crashes--but thats ok--the newer Firefox versions use noticeably more CPU and memory, even Waterfox.

Update: Seems my tabs were crashing with something to do with the libxul.so and associated libraries. I reproduced it in Ubuntu Studio 18 (Since I'm currently using Debian) from clean live ISO/usb boot, installed the flash and replaced the libpepflashplayer.so..and it would crash on me under Firefox6x instantly. Then did the Ubuntu Studio software updates (via system menu) and it worked (again, with high CPU usage, but the controls were there). Under Debian 9, maybe since versions tend to be held back more (aka stable), firefox updates but needs a particular/newer version pertaining to libxul.so, I dunno. Not going to worry about it. But will work in Ubuntu Studio and newest version(s) of Firefox provided you do the system updates--It didn't work via new firefox version and no updates on the LiveCD, until after doing the updates. Hope that helps anyone.
    Last edited by l33ch; December 9th, 2018 at 09:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by l33ch View Post
    Edit: So, I did some playing around. It seems that if you run a firefox base version of 52 or higher (firefox 52, waterfox 52, in my case) you will get the Xfinity Stream controls. If you run an older base version like Pale Moon, or Firefox 48, those options will not be available. For some reason, I cannot run the newest firefox versions and watch xfinity, my tab crashes--but thats ok--the newer Firefox versions use noticeably more CPU and memory, even Waterfox.
    I also installed Waterfox - must be a newer version because I have controls. Not as speedy as Pale Moon, but maybe a *little* better than Firefox. I have another problem however, Pale Moon is causing my system to lock up. This is on Linux Mint 19 now. If I watch tv for any length of time, everything freezes except the cursor. Can't even switch to a virtual terminal, the only solution is a hard shutdown. I don't have this problem with Firefox / Waterfox. I may switch back to Ubuntu eventually, but I'm going to give it a rest for awhile.

For anyone that is interested, I installed Linux Mint with the third party add-ons and then did the Xfinity Stream procedure. I couldn't get it to work, but finally figured out that Adobe Flash had been installed with the third party add-ons. Had to go into /usr/lib/ and delete the adobe flash directory before things would work.

Beans

I also installed Waterfox - must be a newer version because I have controls. Not as speedy as Pale Moon, but maybe a *little* better than Firefox. I have another problem however, Pale Moon is causing my system to lock up. This is on Linux Mint 19 now. If I watch tv for any length of time, everything freezes except the cursor. Can't even switch to a virtual terminal, the only solution is a hard shutdown. I don't have this problem with Firefox / Waterfox. I may switch back to Ubuntu eventually, but I'm going to give it a rest for awhile.

For anyone that is interested, I installed Linux Mint with the third party add-ons and then did the Xfinity Stream procedure. I couldn't get it to work, but finally figured out that Adobe Flash had been installed with the third party add-ons. Had to go into /usr/lib/ and delete the adobe flash directory before things would work.
    Oh good. I couldn't remember when I did U.S. if i had 3rd party checked or not--Theoretically, it should work without selecting that option during installation, then wont have to deal with deleting the adobe flash folder later when doing the steps, etc. I couldn't remember..lol.

Wow, lock ups in linux...that shouldn't happen..crashes, sure and usually it will tell you whats going on. That is really weird. I don't really have any suggestions except maybe a couple, but apologies ahead of time if it doesn't work. I'm running Pale Moon 28.2.1. I originally installed it via the .deb file from Pale Moon's site directly It has been working fine for me no problems (except the additional flash controls, of course). But, what I did was add the repo for Pale Moon as well if/when upgrade is available. On Pale Moon's site 28.2.2 is available but Debian won't download it despite me adding the Steve Pusser repos (https://software.opensuse.org/downlo...ckage=palemoon). I'm pretty sure I could remove the version I have now, and just directly install the .deb to bring it to version 28.2.2. Anyway, I guess what I was going to suggest would be to try removing/purging the pale moon version you have installed and reinstalling it , and/or install a newer version (or go back to 28.2.1 if on 28.2.2)...and a fresh profile..maybe that might fix things? Other than that, I really have no idea. That sucks tho. it shouldn't crash like that. I hope you find out and resolve. Good luck!.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast