Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: multiple distros

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: multiple distros

I believe sr1 is your DVD/CD drive?

It looks like you have Windows on sda and Linux on sdb drive.

Did you use the Something Else install option and choose to have grub2 boot loader installed to the drive that is sdb?

And you want to keep a Windows boot loader in sda drive. Grub only boots working Windows and Windows that is not hibernated/fast boot on. And Windows will turn that back on with updates. Then when grub does not boot your Windows you may be able to directly boot by changing boot order in BIOS back to sda drive and may need f8 for Windows internal repair console.

But best to have Windows repair/recovery flash drive & Ubuntu live installer as repair drive for Linux.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i do have windows on sda, and linux on sdb. i think also, i put grub in sdb drive. i had help here doing that here.. was a time i had to use F8, or maybe F12. now the PC starts with linux. or i can scroll down, to windows. linux being lubuntu.. lubuntu has three choices, windows only one. windows XP is the first HD. lubuntu is on the second HD.
    i might have been instructed to put grub on 2nd hard drive. if i do nothing, the pc opens in the 2nd HD, with lubuntu. the 2nd HD is only lubuntu 18.04 LTS. i like it that it boots to the 2nd hard drive, sdb. XP is so outdated. i still have info. there, i want to keep, an i am not interested to going past XP. when there is so much promise, here with ubuntu, or other versions, thereof. im sure i used the something else option i learned here to get grub to start in the 2nd HD. i like it that it does so. now my agenda is just to get some other distros on the 2nd hd, so i can check them out. thanks
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I believe sr1 is your DVD/CD drive?

It looks like you have Windows on sda and Linux on sdb drive.

Did you use the Something Else install option and choose to have grub2 boot loader installed to the drive that is sdb?

And you want to keep a Windows boot loader in sda drive. Grub only boots working Windows and Windows that is not hibernated/fast boot on. And Windows will turn that back on with updates. Then when grub does not boot your Windows you may be able to directly boot by changing boot order in BIOS back to sda drive and may need f8 for Windows internal repair console.

But best to have Windows repair/recovery flash drive & Ubuntu live installer as repair drive for Linux.
    i did use the something else option on the 2nd/sdb drive. ajgreeny showed me how to add/update grub in the thread; [old pc, two hard drives], 'installation & upgrades'.
    since windows XP is on 1st/sda drive, there is no point in updating it. it does have info on it, i want to keep. plus the scanner works there.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

my window's, on another drive, sda,.. is XP, and i dont plan on going, any further, with windows. i didn't like window's 7,, i think it was. XP, flipped upside down, an put in a blender.
    anyway, i got picture's of sdb, to show where i am at.

file:///home/led/Desktop/drive%20picture/Screenshot%20from%202019-03-10%2000-52-02.png

file:///home/led/Desktop/drive%20picture/Screenshot%20from%202019-03-10%2000-57-20.png
    i may need a bit of pratice doing this.
    Last edited by oneleded; March 12th, 2019 at 04:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You have to attach screen shots.
    If you use the Forum's advanced Editor and paperclip icon it is easy to attach screenshots.
    /home/led is your system which we cannot see.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

thanks, i should have known this. a brain fluctuation.. now i know where i messed up. i dont remember where advanced editor is. i do remember the paper clip icon, and have used it on other sites.
    Last edited by oneleded; March 14th, 2019 at 12:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The advanced option is under the reply box toward bottom right of web page

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    The advanced option is under the reply box toward bottom right of web page
    i can go advanced, but still dont have the option, with the paper clip. most here can put in a face icon, while they write. i can only use Post icons.
    Last edited by oneleded; March 14th, 2019 at 05:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The option should be there, but you can just start fresh in the next post.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

pictures of sdb; i found additional options. right in front of me, the whole time. thanks. i think i was looking for a button.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oneleded; March 15th, 2019 at 07:42 AM.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast