Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: multiple distros

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: multiple distros

sda is sata0. i put grub on sda. now when the computer boot, i get the screen that list ubuntu first, and windows is at the bottom.
    now im working on a mountpoint for sdb1. sdb4 mounts at filesystem root. sdb4 is also locked.

grub was acting up. i found grub2win.zip. this time i installed it using windows XP 1st disk
    seems to be working OK.
    Last edited by oneleded; 1 Week Ago at 08:44 AM. Reason: changes
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

this is kinda where i am at. i think sdb1 has the wrong mount point. i think i can still change it. i just noticed 1 of the picture's is a duplicate, it was supposed to be sdb4. it just showed mounted at filesystem root.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oneleded; 1 Week Ago at 12:41 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You show sdb4 mounted at / (root).
    And sdb1 mounted by UUID.
    I always label partitions.
    And then partitions I only mount occasionally use the label & I better know what they are.

But if a regular partition you want to use, you should mount with fstab.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

^^^^ you have helped out a lot on this project of learning. now you have given me new questions. i will do some reading first. after i read a bit i will get back to this. much appreciated, that you have the patience, to take the time..
    maybe, sdb1 should read at the mount point, /fstab , and then at sdb4 mount point the same, /fstab..

now i have to replace sdb4. i made a whopper of a mistake. i installed gimp, from snaptic. it didnt work right. my mistake. i compounded it though, using snaptic, to uncheck boxes, and go from there. i musta unchecked 1 to many, maybe a child dependency. when i got done, i lost the control box. (i will clean the spelling up later], i had limited function, an no way even to exit, or turn off, sdb4. i tried to correct this, with a dvd. i put the wrong one in. this one, doesnt have the, try first option. i got some dyslexia problems that get worst when i am in a hurry. LOLS. any way i stopped the install, fornunate, it was going to sdb4, instead or XP, or sdb1. i also think i may understand the purge function, better now.
    i plan on saving sdb1, and reformat the rest.
    do i need the swap file, if i am not using windows on this drive? i will still have many partition's.
    Last edited by oneleded; 1 Week Ago at 02:24 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu now uses a swap file.
    But if you have a swap partition it will use it.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

at the moment windows xp/ sda is on sata0, and is still working.
    i/m working on linux/sdb, sata1. once i get linux working, correct, i should make it the first sata drive-0., [sda], put grub on it,
    and windows, will be sata1, sdb drive., or, i got to change the jumpers, in back of the drive.

when you changed the jumpers with PATA drives, didnt it reduce the volume of the drive?
    i am using sata drives, though.

those picture's have changed, post #62. when i made the mistake in post#64, it changed things.
    Last edited by oneleded; 1 Week Ago at 11:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The nice thing about SATA drives is no jumpers, I really really hated those tiny little jumper pins.

Best to keep each drive separate or always have grub on Ubuntu drive and BIOS set to boot Ubuntu drive.
    Then it really does not matter if sda or sdb.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

those little tiny jumper pins were a pain, to get to, an then to drop one. though i cant change the sata order with the bios, i can change the orange plugs on the motherboard, or the drive's, depending on what is easier.
    i hope ya can see these pictures. while i was fumbling around, i changed the way, GParted sees sdb HDD, an the way, Disks sees sdb HDD.
    i have to go through this tread, an recopy the command lines.
    for the moment;; i will look up how to leave a small root file., mount with fstab.
    in the one picture, i show mount options. is is off. it shows Mount Point. can i change it there, or should i search some more? i would rather search some, before i give up.
    about those jumpers; there are probably some still on the basement floor, somewhere. i made sure i got them out of old drives, in case i need one. Ha Ha
    at the moment i cant boot to sdb, because of my mistakes. i have 1 question, that pertanes to sdb.. on sdb1 i have a boot flag. i dont know if i need it, i may have put it there myself an believe so. my question is,
    Do i need boot flags, on partitions, or drives, or both??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oneleded; 1 Week Ago at 05:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Boot flag is used by Windows & syslinux boot loaders.
    Grub does not use boot flag.
    But a few motherboards (Intel for sure) have BIOS that expects a boot flag (assumes Windows?), so we normally suggest a boot flag on a primary partition.

Disks is a gui way to add a data partition to fstab. But it does not always use best parameters.
    Better just to use template. But then you also have to create a mount point and maybe give yourself ownership & permissions.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1983336
    Create mount point, mount & edit fstab from user Morbius1 in Post # 6 - suggest using templates instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

let me catch up a bit, reread posts, and i will. sunny outside. i have to do this first. after i read a bit [i.e. study], maybe i will learn to make root small, in regards to drive, and partitions.
    lubuntu,,. nice puzzle.
    Last edited by oneleded; 1 Week Ago at 12:22 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast