Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: multiple distros

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: multiple distros

pictures of sdb; i found additional options. right in front of me, the whole time. thanks. i think i was looking for a button.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oneleded; March 15th, 2019 at 07:42 AM.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked. i confuse myself..
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thread #11 is related to thread #21,, i couldnt figure out what the yellow was in the 1st picture. i also couldn't reformat sdb2, or sdb5. it may be that i could delete 2 or 5, either.
    Last edited by oneleded; March 19th, 2019 at 12:08 AM.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Little lock icons mean that partition is mounted.
    You cannot change mounted partitions, so have to use a live installer (and still may need to swap off or unmount swap), so you can edit partitions.

gparted & fdisk instructions:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...gANewHardDrive
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...sAndPartitions
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Little lock icons mean that partition is mounted.
    You cannot change mounted partitions, so have to use a live installer (and still may need to swap off or unmount swap), so you can edit partitions.

gparted & fdisk instructions:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...gANewHardDrive
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...sAndPartitions
    i did the swap off with swap file. thried to change sdb 2 and sdb5... the yellow partition in front of sdb2 an sdb5, i tried to get rid of it.. thats where i run into a problem. it had 12Mb space. i had a warning i had to reboot right away. so i did, i didnt even close off and running programs. ooop's ..
    now when i boot i get grub2 error. i'm running now because of, 16.10 lubuntu disk. least i can get online. Maybe it was a grub2 repair error.. i dont know the command lines.
    the weird thing was, it fixed my font issue. the only thing i really need to recover is my firefox bookmarks, maybe some logins, on firefox, or t-bird.
    those are on the 1st HD, that is windows XP. at the moment, i cant get to the 1st hard drive. grub2 wont let me... maybe it was grub2 recovery, im thinking, still dont know the command lines.
    i had a feeling, i didnt want to mess with the yellow part. i crashed windows many times, before i didnt. both 98 and xp.
    i can use 16.10 or 17.04 to get online, till i fix this. a lot of things are working better, since this happened. some of my problems i had, (i did use the update online), are gone.. what a thick scull i have. school of hard knocks. thank you for your help, and the others that have got me this far. Ed [i am an old one]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

16.10 and 17.04 are obsolete.
    Best to use LTS long term support versions. 16.04LTS or 18.04LTS.

Forcing shutdown can corrupt file system especially if you had files open.
    Generally pressing and holding Ctrl+Alt and
    then PrintScr, R, E, I, S, U, B (Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring)
    should do a clean reboot.
    R gives back control of the keyboard, S issues a sync, E sends all processes but init the term signal, I sends all processes but init the kill signal, U mounts all filesystem ro to prevent a fsck at reboot, B reboots the system
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i know those are obsolete. but they will let me get back on line.. they are on cd, or dvd. i was running 18.04LTS, before i messed up. i think 16.10, is the one that works, that lets me get back online. that is the only reason i am using it, now.. i took a couple of snap shots, with my camera, of what ya said last. hopefully it will get me back on track.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    16.10 and 17.04 are obsolete.
    Best to use LTS long term support versions. 16.04LTS or 18.04LTS.

Forcing shutdown can corrupt file system especially if you had files open.
    Generally pressing and holding Ctrl+Alt and
    then PrintScr, R, E, I, S, U, B (Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring)
    should do a clean reboot.
    R gives back control of the keyboard, S issues a sync, E sends all processes but init the term signal, I sends all processes but init the kill signal, U mounts all filesystem ro to prevent a fsck at reboot, B reboots the system
    i dont ever do something simple. Soooo, when i turn on my PC, i hold Ctrl+Alt. then release, push the PrtScn, followed by the capital letter's.
    i dont think you want me to wait till the grub rescue, part, is on the screen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The REISUB is when you have booted into your system and it locks up. You have to at least try that before using power switch as then you may correct files and have to run fsck to repair file system first before trying to find actual problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oneleded View Post
    i dont ever do something simple. Soooo, when i turn on my PC, i hold Ctrl+Alt. then release, push the PrtScn, followed by the capital letter's.
    i dont think you want me to wait till the grub rescue, part, is on the screen.
    i have to quote my self on occasion. i believe the yellow portion, in front of db5, sdb2 was grub2. i think i messed it up pretty good.
    if i disconnect my 2hd, it is all linux, would that at least get me control of 1st hd, which is only windows XP?
    what is the official lubuntu site? is it lubuntu.me?
    i think i got myself in a pickle, this time. it did say to backup, more than once.
    i was doing OK , till i decided to delete the yellow part. Oh Well !!
    if i install lubuntu 18.04 LTS again, on 2nd HD, will it get rid of my grub2 issue?

maybe it was root instead of grub. that makes more sense, and why sdb1, malfunctioned.
    Last edited by oneleded; April 19th, 2019 at 06:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Links to all the Ubuntu flavors are here:
    https://www.ubuntu.com/download/flavours

Normally last install's install of grub takes over boot and its os-prober finds other installs and adds it to grub menu.
    If multiple installs and/or multiple drives, only use Something Else install option. And on combo box at bottom of partitioning screen choose drive (not normally partition) to install grub and the in BIOS boot from that drive.
    The only reason to install grub to a partition is as a throw away as you have another working grub that you want to keep as default boot. And then you can update it to include your new install.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast