Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: multiple distros

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: multiple distros

the new dvd rw i got didn't match the motherboard. cables were different. i had to get an adapter. its possible it went bad, its also possible, something on the motherboard, just zonked out. i want to say IDE, should have took better notes. the dell is an old one. maybe 2002, optiplex 270. i should have taken advantage of cyber Monday. i'd rather have my own build, for a PC., then what is sold.
    if i put boot repair on a thumb drive, or super grub2, [some facsimile, thereof], could i get the linux drive going., with what you said, pg. 17, post#163..?
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us..
    i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If system is otherwise bootable, supergrub should work.

When I built my "new" system in 2006, I used SATA and was going to buy a PATA IDE DVD drive as SATA was new and DVD a lot more expensive. But store was just loading shelves with new SATA DVD that was only $10 more.

I really, really hate the old PATA drives as I always managed to drop little jumpers or not get them correct. At least newer drives had label with jumper settings. Old drives just had instructions which were soon lost.

with pictures:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA#IDE_and_ATA-1
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i had trouble today.. now beside the ROM drives, the sata drives are not seen. it didnt even start with the usb stick. i can still get into bios, it looks normal. and i did get to run the usb stick eventually. so i gotta question or so..
    1. could this be the battery on the motherboard?
    2. maybe the bios is corrupt ? i see no way to fix it, if that is the case. i feel like i am beating a dead horse on this one..
    3. this has to do with a persistent thumb drive. i formatted a 32GB to ext4.. then i read, the first part of the drive has to be FAT. so, is this true?
    i got plenty of hindsight, seems i get it often
    PS i hate those tiny jumpers too.. ya cant see one if ya drop it, and i need special tools to put one it..
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us..
    i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Flash drive has to be FAT32 for UEFI boot of the extracted ISO and used grub2 to boot.
    The BIOS boot version uses syslinux which is a Windows type boot loader.

But some tools use dd or dd under the hood whether BIOS or UEFI, to make a hybrid DVD/flash drive. That has no partition table, but is bootable more like a DVD. To reuse flash drive you have to erase the partition table area on drive as most tools see the random data in that area and get confused and will not read flash drive.

Time for a Raspberry Pi? It probably has better performance than an old system.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i will look up Raspberry Pi.
    i did find out that the thumb drive has to be fat, on the front end, then you can partition a ext4 partition. i forget who wrote this. i keep running into your name on some linux sites. thanks again..
    a friend on another site suggested the battery on the motherboard, might be going bad. sure enough, when i checked for errors, that error was there. i dont remember seeing that before. probably didnt look, while in bios, this time i looked. he told me near a week ago.. i shoulda wrote down the part number, when i tried to reset the bios. i had the battery out,
    maybe old school reset.. tis an old PC.. i aint no spring chicken neither.. Have a good one.

Day or so later. i put a used, 3022, battery on the motherboard. i keep getting an error code, when i typed raspberry pi. i thought maybe ya got dyslexia, and spelled it wrong. i tried rasberry ph. it didnt work neither.,, then i figured out;
    when a new battery is put on the mother board, with windows, operating system, you have to make sure the clock date and year are set, or ya cant search online.. granted its XP, legacy...
    anyway, i found it, i got a big grin, when i read about it. Thanks.
    days or more later;;
    the battery was a 2032, another zig-zag moment. the battery pack in Kroger [grocery chain], was bout $10.oo, 4 Duracell, made in china. the brand new battery, stopped the problem of booting, and having to use the F1/F2, option, every time i booted.. i spent a lot of time looking that up, before i realized, the replacement battery i used, sat to long, though not used, it didnt have enough power.
    i just hope i have the proper battery for the Dell motherboard. it is 3V, an the research i did says this is right. it doesnt mean what i read is right. some of those coin batteries can be 7V on motherboards. i learned that also.
    Last edited by oneleded; 1 Week Ago at 04:02 AM.
    i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Well;; the coin battery did go bad. i should get a couple of new ones tomorrow. i stole one off another motherboard. my DVD writer-sata, i took it out and put an older writer in. i got my DVD drives back. the adapter was/had to be bad. i hoped it was something simple i was overlooking. now to get back to business, my linux drive. ;~} vvv

this is 2 days later;
    i deleted the linux drive. when the lubuntu installation disk stopped midway through the installation, i had to turn off the computer. that caused a few problems. i finally got the F12 button to work, the USB drive worked. i deleted the linux drive, and installed lubuntu. i ran into a formatting problem, as the drive had the star on it, and it wouldnt allow me to partition it. so
    i finally remembered to use the USB drive. when i resized it, sda1 didnt work. i was warned... that dont stop me though. so when i go to reinstall lubuntu,, i get the same old problem;;
    no root file system is defined
    device for boot loader instruction....... this is where it gets interesting. ..
    i fixed it. i dont know quite how. it is simple.. only if i could remember how i did it. sda1;
    i marked it as ext4, maybe more,, i reformatted it ext4, the most important thing is,, this time,,, " journaling file system ext 4", and the ability to put, /, in the mount point option.
    i have seen this come up before, just dont know how i got there the last time, dont know how i got there this time..
    it is the answer to, "no root file system is defined"..
    since i only came across this 2 or 3 times in 4 years, i cant help anyone else out yet.
    Only i had a functioning memory..
    ya cant have everything but, i think i got my linux drive back. let ya know soon.
    Last edited by oneleded; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:59 PM.
    i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

It's been a couple, of long days. i have a ghost in the machine.. sda3, and sda4. i cant get them to show up at the moment. i should have maybe overwritten the sda drive with got some pictures, be a few minutes.Attachment 284784, Attachment 284785
    the previous configuration of the linux drive sometimes show up.. see;; june 24, 1919.. #123 post.. ever so often i get this, instead of the new linux partition set up.

i think i understand,, sda3 is a combination of, sda5,sda6, what i have now.
    though this is confusing, i have changed the order, of the sata drives, more than once, do to circumstance. the linux sata drive is dedicated to linux, and the windows sata drive, is dedicated to windows.
    sda4 seems to be missing, and it may be of no matter. that is on the linux drive.
    now to restore my Firefox book marks.
    that may be a new page for installations and up grades. i couldnt have got this far without your help, oldfred.. thanks again..
    Last edited by oneleded; 6 Days Ago at 03:28 PM.
    i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your sda3 is your extended partition, so you cannot mount or really use it. It is just a container for sda5 and sda6.

If again getting corruption so you cannot mount sda5 or sda5 check in Disks and icon in upper right corner. There is Smart Status which will tell if drive is good or bad. It can run tests, but all I really know is good/bad.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i understand..
    sda4 is missing. i think i deleted it, and is really of no consequence, in the long run.. Smart Status showed no problems.. i'm ready too get on with it, and put a solved at the bottom of the page.
    the bad CMOS battery sure threw me for a loop. its been an interesting ride. i believe i'll cross the finish line soon. the odds are getting close to even.. ;~}
    i confuse myself..

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718