Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: multiple distros

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: multiple distros

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
    See "man sudo_root" for details.

lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install /dva/sda
    Installing for i386-pc platform.
    grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `/cow'.
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ # grub-install /devhd0 <<<[i made a mistake on this line, i think i need to delete it}
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ # grub-install /dev/hd0
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$
    __________________________________________________ ______________________--

i havent tried as yet to see if this will work. however,
    http://
    paste.ubuntu.com/p/
    myqHHy8TJg

that is what i got when i ran boot repair, ppa. version..
    now i cant boot, from the dvd/rom drive.. only usb.. i can still get to windows on sdb/hd1 drive. using F12 option.
    i thought about just deleting the sda/hd0 drive and starting from scratch.
    i thought this thread was solved, till i messed up, and will mark unsolved for a while. least i get two distros running on my linux drive, maybe three.
    so close, yet so far away.. ed

20 minutes later.
    a thought just occurred to me. the dvd/rom drive is older than my computer. maybe it just conked out..

^^^^ the last statement, "20 minutes later", is not correct.. i did something else. i dont know if it was in bios, or somewhere else. where ever it was, i did a good job of it.. i will get here, nothing wrong with the dvd/rom, it will play in windows, just not from a live disk.
    Last edited by oneleded; December 8th, 2019 at 02:38 PM.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us..
    i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From the live installer you cannot run install grub. That attempts to install grub to live installer, not your install. Many new users find Boot-Repair easier. That command does work if you are in your install and want to update grub.

You have to mount you system partition which has /boot in it. Or both /boot partition & / if separate partitions. For BIOS type installs. Change example with sda6 to your / partition sda1, sdb1, etc which every it is.
    sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
    Please note that the --boot-directory switch is new in Natty and is to be preferred, in case someone tries to tell you that should be --root-directory.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    From the live installer you cannot run install grub. That attempts to install grub to live installer, not your install. Many new users find Boot-Repair easier. That command does work if you are in your install and want to update grub.

You have to mount you system partition which has /boot in it. Or both /boot partition & / if separate partitions. For BIOS type installs. Change example with sda6 to your / partition sda1, sdb1, etc which every it is.
    sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
    Please note that the --boot-directory switch is new in Natty and is to be preferred, in case someone tries to tell you that should be --root-directory.
    i like what you are saying. it still got to think a bit, like an ent, in the Tolken books..
    "sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt" ,gives much room for thought
    the / is important with mount point.

[dont answer till i finish writing this, i have to send a picture or two] it wont be long
    thanks for keeping me in the loop. i know i am a hard study
    Last edited by oneleded; December 10th, 2019 at 06:36 AM.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us..
    i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

this might be worth an answer. since it is going on 2020. should i update, both Boot-Repair, and the Grub2 install cd? it seems so self-evident,, i didnt want to ask it before.,, and i have put off asking the question., plus the update.. ..
    i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use latest LTS or currently 18.04LTS as my main working system.
    I do another install or three to either test changes before including in my main working install or to see what has changed in latest version.

Just installed daily live 20.04 which will be the next LTS version. I will reinstall before making it may working install as the daily live has many, many changes before final release. Or log files & history of updates gets large.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

some things have been acting strangely lately, with the old computer, my computer.. it got where it wasnt detecting things, as a ROM drive, then the thumb drive. perhaps more..
    so i looked it up. this time i put in a better search term. as, bio's wont detect device.. i opened up the PC, checked, and changed a few connectors, then took the battery out of the motherboard, resetting the bios. only way i could do it.. least the thumb drive is back at start-up. that is one thing. the only thing i tested as yet. i will be back, regardless, how can i not.. ed
    i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have only had one coin battery fail, but have not kept computer for more than 6 or 7 years.
    When coin battery failed, the clock reset to default on every new cold boot or full power off.
    So if time is off when you shutdown & then boot, check coin battery on motherboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I have only had one coin battery fail, but have not kept computer for more than 6 or 7 years.
    When coin battery failed, the clock reset to default on every new cold boot or full power off.
    So if time is off when you shutdown & then boot, check coin battery on motherboard.
    the windows hard drive has not been able to keep time for a couple of months. i pulled the battery out, so as to reset the bios.
    i thought the bios might see my ROM drives again.
    it could be more than that, the motherboards were known for capacitor problems in old age . i just feel like i am missing something obvious.
    {recheck the plugs from the motherboard again, to the ROM drives}.
    i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had an old 7600 nVidia card.
    One night I heard a pop, was not sure if computer or outside, but computer kept working.
    Next morning my wife could not start it.

Replaced power supply, motherboard & GPU card. Found later photos of other 7600 cards with capacitors popped. Mine looked just like those, some top wide open other just a little open.

If I had shut system down right away, I probably could have saved replacement of motherboard & power supply.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I had an old 7600 nVidia card.
    One night I heard a pop, was not sure if computer or outside, but computer kept working.
    Next morning my wife could not start it.

Replaced power supply, motherboard & GPU card. Found later photos of other 7600 cards with capacitors popped. Mine looked just like those, some top wide open other just a little open.

If I had shut system down right away, I probably could have saved replacement of motherboard & power supply.
    capacitors are a problem with air condition units. usually you can just look at one an tell if its bad. i did hvac for years, i know the risks of playing with the power on.
    i seen my boss sitting on the ground more than once,(that tells ya something about my boss).. he liked to work on live circuits. every time E did it though, he was in a good mode for a week(this says something too)...
    every time a power supply went out, PC wise, the pink resistor was involved. though, i had one power supply, under most every capacitor on the board, was cold solder joints, plus the pink resistor was bad.
    Last edited by oneleded; December 18th, 2019 at 12:17 AM.
    i confuse myself..

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast