Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: multiple distros

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: multiple distros

@oldfred: "Most of grub is in partition, that you deleted".

i knew i messed up, soon, after i did it, linux wise.
    i used to do it to windows.. who needs a blue sky, when you can look at the blue screen..,
    i will get windows drive going 1st., so i can talk, then repair/set up linux drive. thanks, for hanging in there with me, and the rest of you, that put up with me...
    Last edited by oneleded; 6 Days Ago at 11:01 PM.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked. i confuse myself..
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
    See "man sudo_root" for details.

lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo grub-install /dva/sda
    Installing for i386-pc platform.
    grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `/cow'.
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ # grub-install /devhd0 <<<[i made a mistake on this line, i think i need to delete it}
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ # grub-install /dev/hd0
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$
    __________________________________________________ ______________________--

i havent tried as yet to see if this will work. however,
    http://
    paste.ubuntu.com/p/
    myqHHy8TJg

that is what i got when i ran boot repair, ppa. version..
    now i cant boot, from the dvd/rom drive.. only usb.. i can still get to windows on sdb/hd1 drive. using F12 option.
    i thought about just deleting the sda/hd0 drive and starting from scratch.
    i thought this thread was solved, till i messed up, and will mark unsolved for a while. least i get two distros running on my linux drive, maybe three.
    so close, yet so far away.. ed

20 minutes later.
    a thought just occurred to me. the dvd/rom drive is older than my computer. maybe it just conked out..

^^^^ the last statement, "20 minutes later", is not correct.. i did something else. i dont know if it was in bios, or somewhere else. where ever it was, i did a good job of it.. i will get here, nothing wrong with the dvd/rom, it will play in windows, just not from a live disk.
    Last edited by oneleded; 2 Days Ago at 02:38 PM.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From the live installer you cannot run install grub. That attempts to install grub to live installer, not your install. Many new users find Boot-Repair easier. That command does work if you are in your install and want to update grub.

You have to mount you system partition which has /boot in it. Or both /boot partition & / if separate partitions. For BIOS type installs. Change example with sda6 to your / partition sda1, sdb1, etc which every it is.
    sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
    Please note that the --boot-directory switch is new in Natty and is to be preferred, in case someone tries to tell you that should be --root-directory.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    From the live installer you cannot run install grub. That attempts to install grub to live installer, not your install. Many new users find Boot-Repair easier. That command does work if you are in your install and want to update grub.

You have to mount you system partition which has /boot in it. Or both /boot partition & / if separate partitions. For BIOS type installs. Change example with sda6 to your / partition sda1, sdb1, etc which every it is.
    sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
    Please note that the --boot-directory switch is new in Natty and is to be preferred, in case someone tries to tell you that should be --root-directory.
    i like what you are saying. it still got to think a bit, like an ent, in the Tolken books..
    "sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt" ,gives much room for thought
    the / is important with mount point.

[dont answer till i finish writing this, i have to send a picture or two] it wont be long
    thanks for keeping me in the loop. i know i am a hard study
    Last edited by oneleded; 18 Hours Ago at 06:36 AM.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617