Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: multiple distros

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: multiple distros

^^^^Thanks for the info... i know XP, is a slug/snail. i still have data i want on it. plus my old scanner works on it, 2002 microtec. lubuntu, gets me along just fine online. except for "page hit ranking", but, thats been a problem, over a decade.. i dont understand the phrase, by 1clue, "that at any time, half the information on your disks is unusable", perhaps, i will understand.. i still think, i can run a lightweight dristo, or so,without too much problem, on 2nd. linux hard drive. as ya say though, this system is getting older, exponentially.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When you dual boot, you only are running one of two systems. So other system is unusable or half not used. You may be able to mount & use data, though.
    With VM you still can use it, but your system, I think is too old to run a VM.

I retired XP back in 2010 or 2011 when I got a SSD. SSD required AHCI and XP did not work with AHCI. I was down to one app in XP and just decided the app in Linux while not quite the same, was good enough.

Have seen posts where users find what others are calling 'old' systems that are a lot newer than yours. Often cheap on ebay, one post was user finding neighbor's throwing out 'old' systems that could be fixed & used.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

yea, one of two systems. i can mount, and reformat, the other drive. i dont know about using data, as yet. i might just shop around a bit on e bay, see what i can find.
    i got a Gigabyte, s-series motherboard, i can stick in another cabinet. its newer than the one in the dell 270 optiplex. its is probably, to old also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oneleded; 1 Week Ago at 05:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Some old Dells used non-standard power connectors. Connecting those to standard board fried them.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

thats the gigabyte motherboard information, that is on the box. i dont know what it all means. i not using the dell, for this. it will be a new system.
    it will be an empty cabinet. except for the 500w power supply. the model# is in 2nd picture. ga-ma69gm-s2h...
    its a game motherboard. i dont game. it should still be faster then the pentium 4, i have with dell.
    Last edited by oneleded; 1 Week Ago at 03:03 AM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112