Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: multiple distros

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: multiple distros

over my mistakes, i loss excess to /sdb/hdd. i still had it 2 weeks ago. now i dont.. i cant do an install with distro on dvd. this is what i tried some today.
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ cat /mnt/looksee etc/fstab
    cat: /mnt/looksee: No such file or directory
    cat: etc/fstab: No such file or directory
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ cat /mnt/looksee /etc/fstab
    cat: /mnt/looksee: No such file or directory
    overlay / overlay rw 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nosuid,nodev 0 0
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo /mnt/looksee/ /etc/fstab
    sudo: /mnt/looksee/: command not found
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo umount sdb
    umount: sdb: no mount point specified.
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo umount /dev/sdb/
    umount: /dev/sdb/: not mounted.
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo umount /dev/sdb1/
    umount: /dev/sdb1/: not mounted.
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo umoumt /
    sudo: umoumt: command not found
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo umount /dev/sdb4/
    umount: /dev/sdb4/: no mount point specified.
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo umount lubuntu@led
    umount: lubuntu@led: no mount point specified.
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo umount dev/sdb/ lubuntu@lad
    umount: dev/sdb/: no mount point specified.
    umount: lubuntu@lad: no mount point specified.
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo umount /dev/sdb/ /dev/sdb1/ /lubuntu@led/
    umount: /dev/sdb/: not mounted.
    umount: /dev/sdb1/: not mounted.
    umount: /lubuntu@led/: no mount point specified.
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo -l /mnt/backupd/
    sudo: /mnt/backupd/: command not found
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo umount -l /mnt/backups/
    umount: /mnt/backups/: no mount point specified.
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ df -k
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    udev 1007580 0 1007580 0% /dev
    tmpfs 205132 1124 204008 1% /run
    /dev/sr0 1056640 1056640 0 100% /cdrom
    /dev/loop0 1000960 1000960 0 100% /rofs
    /cow 1025644 106712 918932 11% /
    tmpfs 1025644 9012 1016632 1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 5120 8 5112 1% /run/lock
    tmpfs 1025644 0 1025644 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs 1025644 520 1025124 1% /tmp
    tmpfs 205128 12 205116 1% /run/user/999
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$
    in order to do anything, i need grub and a mount point. i got some pictures to show also. just a for-warning. i have to snap some shots, get them ready in XP, copy an post here. till i post the picture shot's, ya cant see sdb hdd, the way i set it up this time. sdb1 will still be there.
    i got a lot of drive, sdb, to work with. perhaps /sdb/hdd/ ???
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I do not understand why you need grub & a mount point.
    Just do a full install from your live installer to sdb using Something Else and choose to install grub to sdb drive.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i for one, do not understand neither. i didnt even know about grub when i 1st had lubuntu, on sdb 2nd., hdd.
    i must have wrote too many things using sudo.. algreeny showed me grub, and things were working great, till i stuck my thumb in the pie, so to speak. [i hope this is tame enough].. things were going great, till they weren't.
    my focus is just on getting 2nd, hdd drive back. it shows up, but i cant access it.
    i lost the thumb drive for a while, i managed to get it back, with time. maybe i need to just reformat the 2nd hard drive, an start over.
    one picture is missing, i dont know if its the one that says where to install the boot loader. it suggest sda.
    once i get back sdb/hdd, i'll be home free.
    much thanks for going this far with me. ed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oneleded; May 1st, 2019 at 05:39 AM.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

As your third screen shows, choose a partition, if you do not have any data to save set at ext4, check format & choose it as / (root). If you are using second ext4 partition choose it, if you have data, DO NOT check format, use as ext4 and use as /home.
    Then in combo box at bottom where it says sda, change to drive that is sdb.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

up, until about week or so ago, grub still could see sdb hdd. now it cant. i dont know what i did, i do know i did it.
    i have to establish a way to get back into sdb/hdd. i tried, with g-parted, and disks, but cannot do, ""set at ext4, check format & choose it as / (root)"", the selections are not there. i did find this command on the net,,
    $ sudo tune2fs -L ROOT /dev/sda1 $ sudo e2label /dev/sda1 ROOT ,,,, it reads sda, but changing it to sdb is easy enough.
    searching online, with a search engine, that list the favorite reply's, instead of what i need, is difficult at best, for me. i did better before google, an those other search engines, that work the same way now.
    i think i will have the use the terminal, to get thing's right.
    i reformatted sdb1,as ext4. i still didnt get the option to set sdb1 as root. i tried to install, lubuntu 18.04.02 distro., it wont install to sdb1. i will try it again so, i can copy an paste, what it say's...
    i have had problems with, mdkir command. its not recognized or something, along with, /etc/fstab.
    when using something else, it always gets to the place;;
    no root system is defined
    please correct this from partitioning menu
    i try to do this, but cant seem to somehow.. its like a broken record.
    except where the drive sdb is partitioned, its blank. if i could get it back to the beginning, maybe that might help.
    when i installed the dristo, i didnt know about mounting, or mountpoints.. i didnt even know about linux, or, lubuntu. [i did know of linux]
    Last edited by oneleded; May 2nd, 2019 at 03:26 AM. Reason: slow memory

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Are you clicking on change on the sdb1 partition?
    Are you clicking on the combo box at bottom of partitioning screen as shown in your third screen? And then change to sdb drive.That then installs grub to MBR of sdb. You do not otherwise see grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i dont see grub, when trying to install lubuntu, from iso. i havent clicked on {change}, as yet. picture 4 show's as far as i can get, before i have to quit.

no root system is defined
    please correct this from partitioning menu

i cant seem to correct this, from partitioning menu..
    sdb is partitioned.. none of the partitions have any information on them. that i am aware of. all partitions should be ext4.

maybe if i click on change, if i can find it, i can do root system.
    i know its very confusing to read what i write, its worst when i say it. you have a lot of patience.

i clicked on change.. i got pictures. i also installed lubuntu 18.04.2LTS to sdb1. when i do reset, i should be back, more or less where i was. if this works, i wont have to pester ya , for a while. we'll both be happy. thumb's up
    Last edited by oneleded; May 2nd, 2019 at 06:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

this afternoon, i used Boot Repair again. this time, i got deeper in advance options. i checked every thing i thought i could get away with. that included purge grub. i didnt push anything that had to do with, windows, or legacy. the 1st hdd, windows was not hooked up anyway. i did not try, to fix MBR. then i rebooted, with Boot Repair again.
    i used advance options again. this time i only checked a few things. i checked fix grub again.
    after it was finished, i can boot into lubuntu again. at the moment, its on sda, till i plug windows drive in.. then lubuntu will be back on sdb1. i reformatted sdb1, a week ago perhaps, +/-, a day or two, still couldnt get on the 2nd., hard drive. at least now, i can..
    now;;; plug in 1st., hdd, and see how grub works..
    update;; i think i will remove grub legacy form windows. maybe purge it... grub legacy, is not what was there before any way. i think i only had grub2.. first i will an try to update grub, from sdb1..
    boot repair, put a flag on sdb1, it also put a nose, [for lack of a description], on sdb. 09:47pm
    Last edited by oneleded; May 5th, 2019 at 03:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

December 1st, 2016,, ajgreeny
    Code: sudo update-grub,. grep "menuentry " /boot/grub/grub.cfg | cut -c 1-82,...
    that was a while back. but sum, i remember it. i didnt have grub back then. i had 2 HDD's, an had to use, F Lock, to get the drive i wanted to boot.
    i cant remember if i was using F12,or F10.. after installing grub, ubuntu, was 1st, in line, window's last... just the way i wanted.
    i think i will purge grub from windows/grub legacy.. then update grub, 2nd HDD, lubuntu. then get back to "multiple distros".. as i intended.
    i think i got the 2nd. linux drive set up, as i want. maybe not as i need.
    i'm still guessing at this, some also... if not more
    Last edited by oneleded; May 5th, 2019 at 04:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you do not have Windows drive plugged in, or not seen by grub2's os-prober, you do not get grub menu.
    Grub sees only one install, so default boots that one install.
    To then get grub menu, you have to hold shift key from BIOS logo until menu appears.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast