Thread: Samsung Galaxy and Ubuntu

Beans

Samsung Galaxy and Ubuntu

Hi All,

I am new to ubuntu. I was wondering if anyone on here has had the opportunity to demo Ubuntu on a Samsung Galaxy:https://youtu.be/XPFemeuCTYg ? I am looking to purchase the s10 when it comes out for this main feature.

Thanks for any feed back,
    Nul
    Last edited by oldos2er; November 1st, 2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Moved to Mobile Tech Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Samsung Galaxy and Ubuntu

I believe there's an ongoing project with KDE mobile and Ubuntu Touch, but they only operate on mostly older devices, such as the Galaxy S4 and Moto G. Search Google for both of these projects and maybe port one over? I can try and port one over when I find the time, but the only device I have to test it is a Galaxy J3 Emerge (ARC1).

Beans

I hope it’s coming for DEX. I don’t believe those orders phones work with DEX.

Beans

I believe you are right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Samsung Galaxy S10 series smartphones are coming out in about 3 weeks. I would really like to know what improvements on the Samsung DEX O/S has been done in terms of hardware advancements. Supposedly, the Galaxy S10 series of smartphones will be running on a new Snapdragon 855 Soc which will have a maximum of 12GB of RAM and 1TB of storage.

What I'd like to see in the future is dual monitor support & better keyboard shortcut support for apps on DEX but I know it'll be a few years until those capabilities ever comes to fruition.

Beans

Exile,

Have you heard anything about the Ubuntu feature?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nul2 View Post
    Exile,

Have you heard anything about the Ubuntu feature?
    Linux on Dex (aka Unbuntu 16.04) will probably stay the same until Android 10 comes out later this Summer. That'll be the time when the Galaxy Note 10 will be released.

Beans

I think Samsung will not reveal any new feature until Andriod 10 release.