Thread: [kde] KDE freezes on log in since kernel upgrade

Beans

Exclamation [kde] KDE freezes on log in since kernel upgrade

Hi there,

I'm running Kubuntu 16.04.2 and ever since I upgraded from kernel 4.10 my KDE desktop hangs a couple of seconds after logging into it. Basically I get the KDE logo and there is a spinner which just freezes after a couple of seconds. I tried to get to a shell by pressing Ctrl + Alt + F1 but it does not work. I am able to continue to use KDE if I select kernel 4.10 at boot, but every kernel I've received after that has had this issue.

I found a log file in /var/log/kern.log which contains a lot of information and a few errors, I'm not sure if any of it is relevant though. I've uploaded it for a log in attempt to: https://pastebin.com/Nrb0BvxT

I tried downloading a Fedora KDE live CD and loading that, but again, it also has this issue.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Or where I can look for more information.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: [kde] KDE freezes on log in since kernel upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by ellju62 View Post
    Hi there,

I'm running Kubuntu 16.04.2 and ever since I upgraded from kernel 4.10 my KDE desktop hangs a couple of seconds after logging into it. Basically I get the KDE logo and there is a spinner which just freezes after a couple of seconds. I tried to get to a shell by pressing Ctrl + Alt + F1 but it does not work. I am able to continue to use KDE if I select kernel 4.10 at boot, but every kernel I've received after that has had this issue.

I found a log file in /var/log/kern.log which contains a lot of information and a few errors, I'm not sure if any of it is relevant though. I've uploaded it for a log in attempt to: https://pastebin.com/Nrb0BvxT

I tried downloading a Fedora KDE live CD and loading that, but again, it also has this issue.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Or where I can look for more information.

Thank you.
    E-
    It would greatly assist with troubleshooting this issue if you were to attach a signature with your machine hardware and software details. Just a couple of lines you can edit your profile to include the signature in your posts - take a look at mine.
    Cheers Tony.
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.34Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10